Meat band saw?

/ Meat band saw? #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
I'm needing to butcher a calf or two and maybe a deer or two annually... need a way to cut stuff up after it is quartered.

Is a meat band saw the right tool? If so, how much different is a MEAT band saw different from a WOOD band saw? I've looked at specs and meat saw blades seem to have 1 to 4 teeth per inch while wood blades are more. Also, meat saws seem to run substantially slower than wood saws.

I've done a TBN search and didn't find any prior thread on the topic, so thought I'd ask.

TARGET has this model, a MEAT saw, for $250.

Harbor Freight has this one, a WOOD saw, for $330 with 4 speeds, no grinder. or another one, single speed, for $130.

I'm assuming that a MEAT saw would be single use... just a few times a year for cutting/grinding, while a WOOD saw would perhaps be more versitle.

Anybody got actual experience or opinions (like anybody on TBN would have an opinion :rolleyes:) on the topic? If it would work, I'd rather have a band saw that would do both wood and meat.... and, it's OK... getting a little extra fiber in the diet from wood dust is healthy!

Last edited:
   / Meat band saw? #3  
I own a Grizzly 2HP 18 inch band saw and let me tell you I would never let a piece of meat anywhere near it.:eek: If I were you I would definitely buy a band saw that is intended for meat cutting. The wood cutting band saws do not have any stainless steel on them. Most are made primarily of cast iron. The moisture from the meat would almost certainly rust you new tool. The wood cutting band saws are also FULL of saw dust and not just the dust you can see, but particulate sizes that would end up in your venison steaks. Try Craig's list or Ebay and you might be able to find a good deal on a culinary meat saw. Best of luck with your purchase. :)

/ Meat band saw? #4  
Woodworkerman said:
Most are made primarily of cast iron. The moisture from the meat would almost certainly rust you new tool. The wood cutting band saws are also FULL of saw dust and not just the dust you can see, but particulate sizes that would end up in your venison steaks.

I have to dissagree.

IF the meat saw is to be cleaned sufficiently to keep ecoli from contaminating your next cut, then a wood bandsaw that is dusty can be sufficiently cleaned also. (last i checked bacteria is a LOT smaller than wood dust)

from what ive seen its a matter of blade speed and blade type (type and number of teeth) Watching the local packing place process meat, (while i was there) it was all frozen which made the cutting go really easly. So you just have to freeze the larger chunks overnight and then its a simple job to sclice them up. (you should see them make burger patties with a frozen tube of ground beef)

/ Meat band saw? #5  
A wood blade 4-6t will cut frozen meat well but will not last long cutting bone.I have used my Delta wood band saw several winters cutting deer.All I do before using my saw is blow out the wood shavings with compressed air, spray it down with bleach and let it air dry.When through wets it down with water, blow dry,then spray saw with wd40 .

/ Meat band saw?
thanks for the views and comments.. interesting and helpful... any more?

/ Meat band saw? #7  
From my high school days working in a supermarket I can tell you that the bandsaws get bits of meat, bone, fat, etc all over them. The saws were washed down extremely thoroughly every night with a pressure washer and were occasionally inspected by the health department. The saws were made mostly of stainless steel and made for the butcher. The lubricants used in them were food grade as well. There is NO way I would use a wood saw for something I was going to eat unless it was the apocalypse. Can't you find a local butcher to help you out with the processing? We have several deer specialty places even here in NJ and I have to assume you do as well.

/ Meat band saw?
In deer season (only), there are places that process deer.... (not farm animals)

however, cattle are a different thing....with different rules and regulations...you have to take it in live and ambulatory...

for those in this area who know the territory.... the following places are no longer operating.... which I have used in the past.

...one just 6 mi south of Jarrell, West of I35

...Taylor Meat Market..still doing their own processing, but not for individuals, 75 miles round trip for me

....Lampass meat market... no longer taking farm raised animals to slaughter.

....San Saba... 100 plus miles... will take an animal...were being inspected last time I was there by USDA.

Anybody know, for sure, of one closer to Jarrell?

The terrorist acts and laws have made all processing plants wierd now...has gotten much worse in last 5 years or so... much more regulation, etc... there have been discussions of somehow identifying EVERY animal so it can be tracked back thru the food chain to its original farm source... no kidding...every cow, horse, goat, sheep, hog, turkey, chicken, goose, rabbit, catfish, ... you name it... if you eat it there are ideas of tagging everything...and, the latest TOMATO scare hasn't helped.

So, while the idea of finding a friendly butcher who might help me is appealing, I know that anybody wanting to keep their accreditation and health permits will refuse to be "friendly."

/ Meat band saw? #9  
Just my opinion but --having had deer processed by guys using bandsaws versus straight knife cutting and deboning, the meat is better from the guys without the bandsaw. The guy I take my deer to now cuts only by hand and the absence of bone chips and marrow does seem to make a difference. For two to three animals a year I'm not sure I would even experiment with my bandsaw even from a cleaning standpoint.