Drain Plug Help

/ Drain Plug Help #1  

ctpres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3400HST
Have a Toro Timecutter ride mower with 7/16 square drain plug. Angle of flats on plug after last oil change makes it impossible to get an open end wrench on it and have enough room to move it. Every metric or SAE socket that I can get on it slips. Anybody have any ideas?

/ Drain Plug Help #2  
ctpres said:
Have a Toro Timecutter ride mower with 7/16 square drain plug. Angle of flats on plug after last oil change makes it impossible to get an open end wrench on it and have enough room to move it. Every metric or SAE socket that I can get on it slips. Anybody have any ideas?

So if the right size socket slips, then the corners on the plug have been rounded over when someone last did an oil change. (Tsk, tsk.)

Its time to take a pair of vice grips (or any locking pliers) to the plug. Why care if you damage it now, since you should replace it anyway? Or find a tool that can remove damaged nuts using a socket wrench. I'm sure Sears sells one. (I just checked online, they do sell a damaged nut and bolt remover set.)

John

/ Drain Plug Help #4  
I think if it 7/16 across the flats on a square plug then you need a 9/16 8 point socket to remove it properly. If you've ever bought any kind of tool set from sears or another similar company then you probably have some 8 points and never knew what they were for. This is it.

It might be a half inch one. I can't remember.

/ Drain Plug Help #5  
Yes, there are 8-point sockets. They're hard to find (I'd try Granger's first). You are PROBABLY dealing with a 1/2" pipe plug. Next time you get that plug out, take it to a hardware or plumbing supply store & get another.

/ Drain Plug Help #6  
monkey wrench; vise grips; chisel; grind/file to 3/8" sq and use socket adapter; grind slot; weld nut on ...all easier said than done, of course

/ Drain Plug Help #7  
Sears has 8 points up to 7/8 at least. That's how big my set goes. I have a snap on set too that goes up to 2 inch. I never thought I'd use half of those but I sure do these days on the farm with all the junk I got.