Stihl "mini tiller"

/ Stihl "mini tiller" #1  

NewToy

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05 Farmtrac 270DTC
I finally broke down and bought one of those little two stroke tillers for running through the rows of the garden. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get one. I used to spend 6-7 hours a week to keep it weed free, now it's an hour. Best $350 I ever spent!
John

/ Stihl "mini tiller" #3  
Do you find the tiller churning up the roots of the good plants? Doesn't the newly exposed earth have weed seeds in it that germinate and continue the cycle?

/ Stihl "mini tiller"
HappyCPE said:
Do you find the tiller churning up the roots of the good plants? Doesn't the newly exposed eart have weed seeds in it that germinate and continue the cycle?
I'm not sure about the weed seeds in the turned soil but I go "buzz" it before they get going again. I go around the plants with the manual "claw" for a few inches then buzz the rest. I haven't encountered any "good" roots. Once you get the handle adjusted for your size and get the feel of the thing it's really slick. The weeds seem especially pervasive this year and without the tiller it was becoming a real downer trying to keep up with it.

John

/ Stihl "mini tiller" #6  
EastTexFrank said:
Neat, aren't they?????

I second that. . . and if it has wheels on it, I'd recommend taking them off. I've had mine since about 1994 and I can't kill it. I've replaced the drive cable once and also the fuel primer bulb and hose. That's it. I think it has the original spark plug.:)

/ Stihl "mini tiller" #7  
Why not four cycle instead of two cycle?

/ Stihl "mini tiller" #8  
Charlesaf3 said:
is it reall that much better than a shuffle hoe for weeding?

its certianly quicker. I hand weed around the plants to about 6" radius, then hit it with the mantis style tiller. (mines an echo)

not as effective as hand weeding but i can cover the area in 1/10 the time, and come back a few days later and rinse and repeat if necessary. Usually the 3rd time over the same patch (about a week apart) and there is little to worry about for the rest of the year.

/ Stihl "mini tiller" #9  
motepoc said:
Why not four cycle instead of two cycle?

i still have yet to see a 4cycle engine beat out a 2cycle for power to weight ratio. when your talking about hand held items, weight is a serious consideration.

the EPA can pry my 2cycle lawnboys, timmers, edgers, mini-tillers, chainsaws (the list goes on)from my cold dead hand!

/ Stihl "mini tiller" #10  
HappyCPE said:
Do you find the tiller churning up the roots of the good plants? Doesn't the newly exposed earth have weed seeds in it that germinate and continue the cycle?

Same concept as a farmer cultivating corn etc. Do it enough and before they go to seed and you just might reduce the weed seed load in your soil.