Bears in southern NH

/ Bears in southern NH #1  

plowking

Gold Member
Tractor
2009 MF 1531 TLB
My customers in my town told me they have seen bears this week and last nite. Seem to be hanging around more and going after birdfeeders or food outside for livestock or maybe livestock. We did have a long winter with deep snow,don't know if that is part of the cause. There is a development going in on 140 acres near one sighting. plowking

/ Bears in southern NH #2  
We're polluted with them. The bird feeders make an easy food source, so they come to the houses to eat. If people would take their feeders in they wouldn't have nusiance bears who have learned that there is food where people live. It's a vicious circle.

/ Bears in southern NH #3  
I have had the same problem here and after fixing the bird feeders a few times I finally put a cable up and hang them up out of reach. The cable runs from the corner of the house out to a maple tree and the feeders are about eight feet off the ground.

Used a boat trailer crank to lift the feeders off the ground. Works pretty good. A few days after putting it up I got up one morning and sure enough there was a bear sitting under the feeders wondering how he could reach them.

DSCN0708.jpg

/ Bears in southern NH #4  
I had to hang our feeders high because of our horse. When we let him out to graze in the garden, he eventually finds his way to one of the feeders:)

He is also the reason, why the container of fish food has to be closed well - sometimes I think he is half goat:)

/ Bears in southern NH #5  
4 bears shot in Iowa this year. The global warming thing is drving them to go to Iowa to eat corn.

The Wisconsin DNR underestimated the count last year, they were off by 800 percent as in there are eight times more bear than they thought.

They are eating power pole again and heading into town. When the corn starts getting ears they will get real thick.

They chew on power poles we beleive becasue they hear the hum form the lines and think there are bee's in the pole. These are small rural sticks.

/ Bears in southern NH #6  
Hiya,

We have a good crop of bears on the mountain this year. Mom and 3 cubs on the north side, the dad wanders on the south side next to us. My buddy on the north side had 2 of them in his yard helping themselves to whatever they wanted. (I think he broke out his bagpipes to drive them off) :D

This year they seem more willing to stand their ground and much less likely to scoot away. Maybe after the long snowy winter and wet spring they are a bit hungry.

Tom