snakes

/ snakes #1  

wedge40

Veteran Member
I hate snakes, especially when they cross the threshold of my living space. One managed to do just that Monday or Tuesday. When I got home the cat seemed a little more b*tchie than normal. (He's a real good cat). Well I told him to go and he went in the living room and layed down staring at a wall that had some old stereo equipment piled up next to it. Didn't think much of it, till I went to go to bed (couple of hours later) and thats when I heard a weird noise. Decided to investigate and looked behind the equipment and found a HUGE Black Snake. Well when all was said and done the COD was blunt force trauma.

My question is this.. How the heck did it manage to get in? My house isn't sealed the best, but this thing must have been about 2" in diameter and almost 50" long (I measured). And what do I do to keep them out. We've had a nice wet spring and usually they only look for some protection when it gets really dry.

I have to give the cat credit, because once the snake was cornered he didn't let it out of his sight for long. Who know how long that thing would have slithered in my house.

Wedge

/ snakes #2  
A black snake can get through most any opening a mouse can. And there are no houses that I know of that are impervious to mice.

This guy cam climbing down the outside of our chimney one night while we were watching TV in the den.

22347DSC0168-med.jpg

I got up, grabbed him and set him right outside the back door. I'd rather have him than mice (or rats) anyway. And chances are, if you had a black snake in your house its because he was on the trail of a rodent of some sort. And to tell you the truth, I'd rather have 10 black snakes than one cat. (I like cats, grew up with cats, indoor and outdoor, but there's no way around it, indoors they are stinky, destructive fur balls.)

No one in my house is afraid of snakes, particularly black snakes.

/ snakes #3  
N80 said:
...I'd rather have 10 black snakes than one cat. (I like cats, grew up with cats, indoor and outdoor, but there's no way around it, indoors they are stinky, destructive fur balls.)...

Our cats are stinky fur balls, but they aren't destructive. ;)

/ snakes #4  
I'd say since I was a child I've probably had a couple dozen cats. Never met one that wasn't destructive. Sharpen claws on furniture. Male cats, even neutered ones, spray. Nasty hairballs on carpet. I consider all that destructive.

Our last cat was de-clawed. That helped a lot.

I guess that a black snake would probably poop on the floor and leave shed skin around. So maybe its a toss up.

/ snakes
N80 said:
A black snake can get through most any opening a mouse can. And there are no houses that I know of that are impervious to mice.

This guy cam climbing down the outside of our chimney one night while we were watching TV in the den.

22347DSC0168-med.jpg

I got up, grabbed him and set him right outside the back door. I'd rather have him than mice (or rats) anyway. And chances are, if you had a black snake in your house its because he was on the trail of a rodent of some sort. And to tell you the truth, I'd rather have 10 black snakes than one cat. (I like cats, grew up with cats, indoor and outdoor, but there's no way around it, indoors they are stinky, destructive fur balls.)

No one in my house is afraid of snakes, particularly black snakes.

Sorry but I'll deal with mice anyday.. I HATE SNAKES. Hence that's why he died.. I probably could have caught him and set him packing outside, but I like to make sure that they NEVER return. A dead snake can't move.

Wedge

/ snakes #6  
i've got at least one black snake that lives in an outbuilding that i use as a workshop/storage building. helps keep the mouse population down. but cats kill way more mice than snakes and I wouldn't live without them with their claws.

/ snakes #7  
The only snakes I've had in the house are the ones the cats bring in. Usually just a small ring neck they bring in to play with.

Snakes outside just get left alone, unless they have fangs. I killed a 2 foot copperhead Tuesday evening that was coiled up in one of the flower beds alongside the house. The wife was going to start weeding the flower beds Wednesday morning.:eek:

Can anyone guess what I get to do this weekend?

/ snakes #8  
Check for snakes??? Before SHE weeds the beds??? Cause if I had to do it, it would be done with a mechanial device that parts the top of the plant from the bottom!!!!!!!