Moving a construction trailer with a tractor?

/ Moving a construction trailer with a tractor? #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
We have sold our home and we are moving out to our lake side camper. We are building our new home on this same location. I work from my home so I will be "on site" during the construction. That's all good but down sizing from a 3400 sq-ft home to a 30' camper will be some adjustment!

We are buying a old construction trailer, 30'. The actual box is 26' with 4' of toung. It is mostly empty. I want to set this up as our office and tool storage. This hill country in Southern In and I wonder if I can move this beast with my tractor. I have a KAMA 454. It's a heavy 45hp 4 wheel drive. I can get the trailer delivered to the site but maybe not down the hill where we want to place it. I will need to level the area where I need to make the turn. The entire hill is about a 15% grade. The camper was brought down with a Chevy Suburban 4x4 without any grade leveling but needed major leveling just to use it!!

I like the idea of using the tractor to set the trailer because the tractor is so much more manooverable(sp). But I also understand that when going down the hill, I should keep it in the lowest gear and let the engine break the speed. I supose I could use the Suburban to get down the hill, chaulk the wheels and use the tractor adjust

Does this all make sense? The photo is taken where I want the trailer and the Surban is up the hill. I want to have it backed in the final location so it will be easy pull out

Patrick T

Attachments

• Nearly out of the ground.JPG
    Nearly out of the ground.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 247
   / Moving a construction trailer with a tractor? #2  
Boy Paddy, my first thought was that you have enough tractor to move that trailer, then you mentioned 15% grade down hill. That is a lot of weight pushing on a tow vehicle that does not have front brakes. I think I would be nervous.

MarkV

/ Moving a construction trailer with a tractor? #4  
Interesting foundation/basement walls, have any more info? We built our house in the past 2 years and used superior walls, cast offsite with studs molded in and insulated, took 1/2 day to install.

P8150275.JPG

P8150279.JPG

Sorry to derail your thread.

/ Moving a construction trailer with a tractor? #5  
MarkV said:
Boy Paddy, my first thought was that you have enough tractor to move that trailer, then you mentioned 15% grade down hill. That is a lot of weight pushing on a tow vehicle that does not have front brakes. I think I would be nervous.

MarkV

I agree with MarkV, Your tractor might do it. But having a Surburban with four wheel brakes and a mass of steel around you, I think that is the way to do it.

/ Moving a construction trailer with a tractor? #6  
I did something similar,I moved a popup camper with a Polaris fourwheeler,did good until I got to the downhill part of my driveway.I went al the way to road,fortunately no one was coming. My friend did move a camper out of the woods with a John Deere 110TLB, but didn't have the hills to worry about. If you could hook up some type of controller on tractor for the camper brakes,it might work. plowking

/ Moving a construction trailer with a tractor?
Sounds like I better use the Suburban to get down the hill and use the tractor for "fine" adjustment! I do know, tractors don't have the best breaking system. Low gear at idle is the way to go and never hit the clutch!

Patrick T

Shargo,

Cool photos. We are building an ICF home. It is 5800sq-ft on a basement, three stories total. This is all concrete, walls, floors and flat roof. The only wood will be partition walls. Well there will be 4 panel cherry doors and cherry trim. (See my last posts on saw mills)

The floor/roof system is Hambro. Good guys to work with. The ICF blocks are Foxblocks, also good guys to work with. We have a lake lot and are building our LAST home. It's a bit large but being on the lake, we hope to entice our three grown children, (and their families-hope that is) to come spend their Summer vacations with the old folks.

We have done the "World of Concrete" trade show in Las Vegas to get many of our cool ideas. But one trip to Mexico visiting a customer, made me bite the bullet. See attached photo. This will be our inside plaza..

Patrick T

Attachments

• 210up.JPG
    210up.JPG
    840.1 KB · Views: 211
Here is another shot from above the construction site

Patrick T

Attachments

• walkboards upper view.JPG
    walkboards upper view.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 235