do you mow your horse pasture?

/ do you mow your horse pasture? #1  

RussMan

Silver Member
Tractor
B3030 w/ FEL and 72" midmt
For you equestrian types, do you mow your horse pasture? I have heard that mowing gets rid of the stuff they won't eat anyway, and allows the horses to get access to the "good" grass. On the other hand, it seems a little weird to be cutting grass in areas you want the grass to grow for the horses. I know it looks better mowed, but what is the best advice?

/ do you mow your horse pasture? #2  
I cut my pasture a couple times a year to get the weeds down. I usually cut it at about 4 inches. Wherever the grass is good the horses keep it cut to about 1 inch so I am not cutting any of the good grass. Horses generally won't eat tall grass anyway so cutting the tall grass gives your horses more to eat. Cutting your pasture before the weeds get tall enough to go to seed helps prevent the weeds from spreading and gives the grass less competition so it grows better.

/ do you mow your horse pasture?
That makes sense - thanks for the advice. Plus, a mowed field looks lots better.

/ do you mow your horse pasture? #4  
Something I read stated that grass that grows after being cut has more protein to it then standing, tall grass. Another thing to consider is after four weeks, the protein level of grass drops. The story said to cut one quarter of your pasture one week, then another quarter of it the next week and so on. It's never ending, but you will always have maximum protein levels in your grass.

Eddie

/ do you mow your horse pasture? #5  
RussMan said:
For you equestrian types, do you mow your horse pasture?

I mow our horse pasture about once per month during the growing season. I use my mid-mount mower (MMM) raised to the transport position, which cuts at about 6" high. I also pull a flexible tine harrow behind the tractor while mowing to scatter the manure piles. Our horses often wear grazing muzzles when they are on the pasture. The muzzles appear to work much better with short grass.

/ do you mow your horse pasture? #6  
Grass does have it's highest protein content in about 1 month on most varieties. I know bermuda best. If I graze my horses during the growing season I still mow it down to about the same height I would when cutting it for hay. I rotate them out of the pasture for two weeks though when I do that. We have three grazing/hay pastures here so it's no big deal for me. If you can cross fence your field and mow half about every month then move the horses to the other side it would be best.
I have one patch here that I didn't mow last month and you can really tell the difference between it and the part I took hay off of and fertilized. The part I didn't mow is waist deep but the grass is really rough looking and brown for about the first foot. The part I cut is knee deep and green and lush as it gets.

If you fertilize your grass after you mow then it's best to send in some grass samples to make sure the nitrates are back down to a safe level before turning your horses back out into it. It takes about 2-3 weeks before it's safe here. Just something else to think about. Regular fertilization will help the grass choke out the weeds too.

/ do you mow your horse pasture? #7  
It's standard practice around here to mow. It also helps to re-seed if you have a bahia variety.

Podunk

/ do you mow your horse pasture? #8  
I think size of the pasture and how many horses comes into play. Since horses eat so much the only thing left is uaually the weeds. So that's all that gets mowed. A horse will eat a 1-acre pad down to dirt in no time.

A couple landowners with bahia grass will cut it at 6 inches for horses and cows if it rains a lot and gets to tall. He said the taller it gets the tougher it gets and the cows won't eat it. One guy said a cow will starve to death in a pasture that has 2' bahia grass. :D

Rob

/ do you mow your horse pasture? #9  
I just mow mine to knock down tall weeds to keep the non horse owning neighbors from whining that their lawn looks better than my pasture..

soundguy

/ do you mow your horse pasture? #10  
Yep

If I didn't the thistles and desert broom would take over the place. Hopefully some day I will get a head of the seeds that are in the ground laying in wait for me to miss a mowing. For some reason our horses only eat the nice soft green grass. They won't even step on the thistles.....go figure.