Ever feel guilty about not giving dog enough attention?

/ Ever feel guilty about not giving dog enough attention? #1  

yankeerider

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 755
It's been about 30 years since I've had a dog. (had one at end of my college years, stayed with my parents when i started work, then they didn't want to give her back to me.) SWMBO hasn't wanted animals in the house, so my shop cat of 9 years lives out in my workshop, with only a few brief visits inside the house when i could get away with it. Now that my son is living with us and his dog has become like our 3rd child, my wife is accepting of me getting a dog, and willing to help care for it when i'm on my occasional short business trips.

The problem is, I worry whether the dog will get enough attention, so I'm not sure if I should wait until I retire (in about 9 years, hopefully) or get one now. I figure I'll set up a comfortable bed for the dog in my shop so she has a place to lounge when I'm working out there, and I intend to train her for agility just to keep her occupied with a "job". Still, I get concerned about what she'll be doing when I fell trees and cut firewood and am on the tractor mowing. (I can't justify a large cab tractor on our 5 acres:) ). She'll be able to go to the Home Despot and TSC with me and play with my son's dog for the next year or two while he's still living with us, but there's still likely to be many hours of the day when she wants my attention and it's not available.

I probably should add that my son kids me about getting a cat and making a dog out of her because she follows me around and even comes (most of the time) when called, so maybe I'm overthinking this. Just wondering what you guys think about this.

/ Ever feel guilty about not giving dog enough attention? #2  
I think you're over thinking it...

If you're a dog lover and would give one a good home then why deny a dog a good home for 9 years? ;)

As a matter of fact (not knowing where you live), I've got a dog right now that was abandonded my way that we're looking for a home for!!

I've already got 4 indoor dogs (all abaondoned my way) and just don't have room for more.

We're currently trying to nurse her back to health as she evidently had some kind of infection and also had been in some kind of fight. She could barely walk and we had to carry her to the yard to "go outside".

Now she's as lovey dovey as they come, just WANTS to go for rides and LOVES to lay on your lap... (much to the chagrin of one other dog who thinks my lap belongs to her!)

:rolleyes:

/ Ever feel guilty about not giving dog enough attention? #3  
Sounds like you could give a dog a very good home. Do a bit of research on various breeds. Some are high maintenance for grooming and exercise, while others are more laid back, don't shed much and don't mind a few hours snooze while Dad is at work. Take the dog with you when you fell trees etc. Most of them want to be with their owner no matter where he goes.

If DW is treating the son's dog "like a third child" I suspect if "your" dog pays any attention to her at all there's a good chance it would get a promotion to being a "house dog" and maybe even end up sleeping on the bed. Stranger things have happened.

If DW gets input and helps you pick the new dog, I assure you things will go even smoother.

/ Ever feel guilty about not giving dog enough attention? #4  
Yeah, just get the dog...get a pound dog, or a litter puppy for free, millions of them around looking for a good daddy.

/ Ever feel guilty about not giving dog enough attention? #5  
Have you thought about two dogs? They will keep each other company while you are away. Your son's dog is there now. Just make plans to get another dog when he moves away with his. ;)

/ Ever feel guilty about not giving dog enough attention? #6  
Man having more than one dog can be asking for trouble. Pack mentality and all that. Mine are good, but getting all three at the same time from various pounds and rescues was asking for trouble. They get together and they are teenagers just looking for something to do. Only issue is 150, 120 and 40 pounds is a lot of trouble. Keeping them apart and their personality shows true. Best thing around, get them together and if your not on them, they are in trouble. Hilarious but worrisome at times.

I'd get one dog, then if you need another one, get one. Just don't get all pups at the same time unless you can give them a lot of time and coaching.

Good luck.

/ Ever feel guilty about not giving dog enough attention? #7  
If you get a small puppy, your wife will bond to it and it and all the problems will take care of themselves.

/ Ever feel guilty about not giving dog enough attention? #8  
curly said:
Yeah, just get the dog...get a pound dog, or a litter puppy for free, millions of them around looking for a good daddy.

Gotta second this. There are a lot of nice dogs in pounds, shelters, and rescues.

I lost my Aussie to old age last fall. She was 17 by then, and was an amazing dog. The two we have now, one was from the pound, and the other from a German Shepherd Dog rescue.

Here's an example, with some purebreds
Dogs Available for Adoption from GSRSV

/ Ever feel guilty about not giving dog enough attention? #9  
we've got 4 dogs with no pack mentality. mentality is no where to be found.

/ Ever feel guilty about not giving dog enough attention? #10  
Get at least 2 to keep eacjh other company. You will never reqret it.

(Who pooped near the Frisbee ???)