Today I paid $10.35 for a 50# bag of deer corn!

/ Today I paid $10.35 for a 50# bag of deer corn! #21  
I'm feeling it too. We really enjoy the results of having the feeder out and the pictures we get on the game camera. Probably the funnest part is seeing how the hogs and coons interact with each other. The coons make such a mess that the hogs keep coming back again and again to get the corn the coons drop.

I'm putting about 150 pounds in it every two weeks.

Eddie

/ Today I paid $10.35 for a 50# bag of deer corn! #22  
wow, I wish I could send y'all some of my excess deer - I have to throw rocks at them to get them out of the front yard.

They regard my entire place as a feeder.

/ Today I paid $10.35 for a 50# bag of deer corn! #23  
Charlesaf3 said:
wow, I wish I could send y'all some of my excess deer - I have to throw rocks at them to get them out of the front yard.

They regard my entire place as a feeder.

Now that's funny! Change the word "deer" to "armadillos" and I could have made the same statement. Wanna trade a few deer for some 'dillos? :D

/ Today I paid $10.35 for a 50# bag of deer corn! #24  
I used to glean corn from the farm after the farmer had harvested. It is amazing how much corn got left behind. I used to keep a couple of buckets of corn on the cobs to put out for the squirrels to distract then from the bird feeder. I had one of those feeders that has 3 arms that you screw corn cobs on. It was a ton of fun to watch their antics till the pulled off one of the arms and carried it away. Our squirrels are amazingly destructive. Anyway you could probably pick up all the corn you need if there is a field nearby. We too have deer in the yard and they have a taste for flowers. I wish the guy behind me didn't have a salt lick out. I hardly ever see the deer just the missing flowers.:(

Chris

/ Today I paid $10.35 for a 50# bag of deer corn! #25  
The last I paid was around $7.50, it is higher now. The quality of the corn was, well, crappy. It probably was West Texas field corn, small,shriveled with alot of cracked ones. I always knew that corn offered little nutrition but at least a full plump kernal WITHOUT cracks, supplies 1 BTU of energy to the deer. So it is mostly "candy"

The cost of food plots will be higher too, I usually put out 300# of fertilyzer when I plant my oats so I know the bill will be higher this year.

Another thing I have been wondering about after talkning with friends and a couple of family members in the hunting video business, is the impact of the economy as far as paid hunting is concerned.
IMHO hunting leases here in Texas have went though the roof and most properties can't warrant the price paid but are more due to demand over quality. It will be interesting to see how the lease situation goes this year.

/ Today I paid $10.35 for a 50# bag of deer corn! #26  
Up in these's parts they call it supply and demand.

Blue Seal deer pellets $10.90 #50 bag/crack corn $11.25 #50 bag...and that was last winter prices...tad over $10 a day to feed deer from January- first of April. :(

/ Today I paid $10.35 for a 50# bag of deer corn! #27  
You think corn prices are high. My grandfather went yesterday and bought a ton of bagged 13-13-13 to use on his fall crops (cabbage, turnip greens, collards, etc....) $23.50 a bag (ton price) or $940.00 a ton. Last year at the same time it was $10.50 a bag or $420.00 a ton.

Something's got to give. :confused:

Chris

/ Today I paid $10.35 for a 50# bag of deer corn!
Western said:
The last I paid was around $7.50, it is higher now. The quality of the corn was, well, crappy. It probably was West Texas field corn, small,shriveled with alot of cracked ones. I always knew that corn offered little nutrition but at least a full plump kernal WITHOUT cracks, supplies 1 BTU of energy to the deer. So it is mostly "candy"

You are right about the candy. That's why I think deer know with winter coming, acorns are higher in protein.

That corn could also be last years corn. I've seen some of that before. The COOP had a different supplier this year. No green camo paper bag. A mostly white and red "recleaned" bag of corn. I don't recall the brand. It's at home in the garbage. Might go diving to see.

/ Today I paid $10.35 for a 50# bag of deer corn! #29  
I hear you Rob,
the last "recleaned" I bought, looked like it was loaded in the field off the ground with a tractor. Fact when I opened the bag, the kernels where so small I thought it was pop corn... this came in the camo bag!

/ Today I paid $10.35 for a 50# bag of deer corn! #30  
I have looked all over for corn at a reasonable prices and today I made a deal with walmart to buy there corn at $5.57 per bag at a ton..thats high to ,but I was concerned about moisture levels in the corn but I found out that its ok.I do not think that buying from Walmart is the answer but it will save some money and YOU have to offer deer something or there wont be deer at the feeder.We feed corn,bale alfalfa,mineral block,and pumpkin and the adjacent landowner cannot figure out where his deer are going,,<GIGGLE>Offer what hunters around arent and enjoy seeing deer at your feeder,Larry