Wood Identification Help

/ Wood Identification Help #1  

scott_vt

Tractor
1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A
Good Evenin Guys,
As you can see by the picture we are preparing for, uhmm winter allready ! ;) I snapped this shot today, Im wondering if anyone has a clue as to what the wood is with all the pecker holes on the outside bark is ? The wood is straight grained for the most part, its not very dense/ heavy but it burns with a very nice aroma. I cut the tree on my Vt property and trucked some down to my Ct home, just thought someone may have seen it before. The tree was pretty much dead when I brought it down and am curious what this stuff really is. The wood is also lighter in color if that helps at all ! :)

Attachments

• Wood-identification.jpg
    Wood-identification.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 358
   / Wood Identification Help #3  
The orange-ish color of the bark makes me want to agree with Scott that it's an ash, but Sassafras also has that orange color and around here they grow that big.

There's a small diameter log in the upper left corner of your photo, and some others in the background, which don't look at all like ash or elm or sassafras and don't seem consistent with the other larger log pieces. The smaller logs look more like cherry, but the larger logs are definitely not cherry.

/ Wood Identification Help #4  
Looks like ash. What does is smell like when it's not burning? (after a fresh split)

/ Wood Identification Help
Good Mornin Guys,
Its not ash, I have some of that and ash is heavier and the bark is a bit deeper. Possibly sassafras as it has a nice odor when it burns. Thanks for your help, I will try and get some more pics of that tree.

Btw the smaller pieces are birch.

/ Wood Identification Help #6  
OK, gotta tell this one, true story...
Had a fellow with degree in Forestry out to look at small pine grove to see if control burn was recommended.

Ask about ID of several other trees, he said that was not his strong suit.
He worked for a large well known pulp/paper company.
Then he said;" That's what I like about my job, all I have to know is ..it's pine or it's not pine."

/ Wood Identification Help #7  
It is advisble to use the wood right away if it comes from another state. In,NH the forestry service has a warning of transporting fire wood to another location, the beetles,bugs can get into the local trees and spread. This applies mostly to camps up north when campers bring wood from home. plowking

/ Wood Identification Help #8  
i can't really tell but sassafras would have a great smell as soon as you cut it, not just when you are burning it......smells so good you want to eat it or keep smelling it...

/ Wood Identification Help #9  
I would guess it to be Basswood. Hard to tell from the photo.

/ Wood Identification Help #10  
I'd guess basswood as well --- or one of poplar family -- can't tell easily from bark on the lower tree but was bark higher up smooth or like this?