Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Default Wood Identification Help

Good Evenin Guys,
    As you can see by the picture we are preparing for, uhmm winter allready ! I snapped this shot today, Im wondering if anyone has a clue as to what the wood is with all the pecker holes on the outside bark is ? The wood is straight grained for the most part, its not very dense/ heavy but it burns with a very nice aroma. I cut the tree on my Vt property and trucked some down to my Ct home, just thought someone may have seen it before. The tree was pretty much dead when I brought it down and am curious what this stuff really is. The wood is also lighter in color if that helps at all !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -wood-identification-jpg  
    scotty

,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

Tractor
    Montana 4340C w/Loader, JD GX345 w/54in. mower

Default Re: Wood Identification Help

looks like ash to me
    Montana 4340C w/loader, AgroTrend FU78 rear snowblower with hydraulic shute rotation, Horst 48" pallet forks, 3pt. 2-bottom plow, 6ft. bush hog rotarty cutter, 3pt. Woods 7ft back blade, 3pt. cultivator, 5ft 3pt. york rake, 6' KKII tiller, JD494 4-row planter. Future attachments: backhoe, grapple

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD

The orange-ish color of the bark makes me want to agree with Scott that it's an ash, but Sassafras also has that orange color and around here they grow that big.

There's a small diameter log in the upper left corner of your photo, and some others in the background, which don't look at all like ash or elm or sassafras and don't seem consistent with the other larger log pieces. The smaller logs look more like cherry, but the larger logs are definitely not cherry.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2015HST & Mitsubish R1500

Looks like ash. What does is smell like when it's not burning? (after a fresh split)

Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Good Mornin Guys,
    Its not ash, I have some of that and ash is heavier and the bark is a bit deeper. Possibly sassafras as it has a nice odor when it burns. Thanks for your help, I will try and get some more pics of that tree.

Btw the smaller pieces are birch.
    scotty

,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

Tractor
    B-2910 delivered 8/23/01

OK, gotta tell this one, true story...
    Had a fellow with degree in Forestry out to look at small pine grove to see if control burn was recommended.

Ask about ID of several other trees, he said that was not his strong suit.
    He worked for a large well known pulp/paper company.
    Then he said;" That's what I like about my job, all I have to know is ..it's pine or it's not pine."
    Plant a tree, help it grow; children need something to climb.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2009 MF 1531 TLB

It is advisble to use the wood right away if it comes from another state. In,NH the forestry service has a warning of transporting fire wood to another location, the beetles,bugs can get into the local trees and spread. This applies mostly to camps up north when campers bring wood from home. plowking

Tractor
    New Holland TC45 Shuttle

i can't really tell but sassafras would have a great smell as soon as you cut it, not just when you are burning it......smells so good you want to eat it or keep smelling it...
    TC45 Shuttle, 270 hours, 758C backhoe, 16LA loader

Well, I looks like I just bought myself a lot of work.....

Tractor
    2005 TB135 Excavator with Thumb, Quick Attach System, Ripper tooth, 3' Hydrauic Tilt Clean-up Bucket, Skeleton Bucket, 1986 Kubota 4150 with Loader and Quick Attach with Woods Forks, JD B, 1963 IH 504

I would guess it to be Basswood. Hard to tell from the photo.
    1986 Kubota 4150 w QA
    2005 Takeuchi 135 excavator
    2005 GMC 5500 10' Boss V
    1963 Oshkosh 1967
    2013 GMC 3500 6.0 w 9-2 Boss V Fisher poly Sander.
    IH 504, JD B, Ford 2n, Gehl 1475 Round Baler, JD 640 rake, Vermeer 2500 Bale Wrapper, Zetor 185 Drum Mower, New Idea 217 manure Spreader, Kuhn 4 star tedder, Farmi 501 winch.
    Local 740 Portland ME
    20 Scottish Highland Beef Cattle, 3 Herefords, 3 Goats, 2 Alpacas, 2 Llama, 72 chickens, and lots of maple trees.
    Facebook: Phillip View Farm

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284(Spirit fel), MF 135 (MF200 fel)

I'd guess basswood as well --- or one of poplar family -- can't tell easily from bark on the lower tree but was bark higher up smooth or like this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast