Intermittent Well

/ Intermittent Well #1  

Airic

Silver Member
Tractor
GC2310
My well have been shutting off intermittently. It will run for while, then just cuts out for about a minute or so and then kick back on. Does anyone have any possible ideas why this is happening and where to look for the source of the issue? The well pump is only 3 years old.

/ Intermittent Well #2  
You need to give us more data. Are you talking about the well pump? Is it above ground or in the well. How deep is your well? Do you still have pressure in the tank?

/ Intermittent Well
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, Yes, it is a well pump in a well at approximatly 100-150 feet but, I'm not enirely certain as it was origonal to the house. The tank does still have pressure and is around 55 psi.

/ Intermittent Well #4  
If it's a non-bladder type tank then I'd say it's water logged (no air head left). If it's a diaphragm or bladder type then possibly the diaphragm is busted.

How to check: turn off the pump and open a line to see how fast the pressure drops on your gauge. If it goes from 55# to zero real quick, then you're definitely water logged. If the pressure drops gradually, then you may a pressure switch problem.

/ Intermittent Well
Thank you. I did check and the pressure drops slowly. Without the pump on the pressure went from 55psi to 41 psi and the water ran for about 1 to 2 minutes. Is there a way to trouble shoot a pressure switch or would it be best to head the hardware store and just replace? I would not think they would be all that expensive. I don't have an ohm meter yet.

/ Intermittent Well #6  
If you think the gauge is good, discharge the water, and then kick the power on and watch it fill.. if the pressure switch kicks the pump out befroe the 'out' pressure on the gauge is reached.. check to see i fthe points are still pulle din, and just burned ( ants? ) and not making good contact.. or if it actually kicked the points out.

post back.

soundguy

/ Intermittent Well #8  
Sound guy is giving great troubleshooting advice,

what I think his next step is to see if there is a Motor Over Heat condition happening. Some motors have built in temperature sensors that turn them off until the temp comes down. I do not know if any submersible pumps are like this or not. go to the well head and pop the top cover off and listen for the sound of the pump to see if the pump is running out of water (well running dry)

In most cases if the pump starts sucking air (well low) then you can HEAR the pump sucking air. you may also get air into the water lines.

keep looking you will get the answer.!
;)
Mark

/ Intermittent Well #9  
slow leak in the water line between pump head and pressure tank. blatter tank slowly leaks down, calls for water, it kicks on, refills tank, shuts off , repeat.

/ Intermittent Well #10  
To answer the question about the pressure switch.

You are correct, they are not expensive and are an easy replacement. The replacement switches will probably have a choice of cut in/out pressure settings - either 30-50 or 40-60 and that can be adjusted. Just be sure to draw a diagram of which wire goes to what terminal before you disconnect (pull the power!).

IMO it is not worth filing points or trying to 'fix' a malfunctioning switch - just replace it.

If you do replace it, pull the riser pipe (that small pipe the switch screws on to) and clean it out. They can get plugged and cause some similar problems (late start, late shut off).

It does sound to me like a blown bladder or low pre-charge air bubble.

Harry K