08 Olypics... whos watching????

/ 08 Olypics... whos watching???? #1  

elalexander

Gold Member
Tractor
1982 Bolens/Iseki TS 1910 f (G194)
Hey Who is watching the Olympics? Being from Michael Phelps Moms hometown here in Western Maryland and going to the same high school as her and his Dad we are paying attention. Being on vacation this week has really been a treat for me as I can watch what these guys and girls do. Phelps is awesome, and when I think of the gene pool in our hometown compared to the entire world I just gasp. What an athlete. We still have the 04 TV guide with him on the cover. In fact my house belonged to his aunt or Grandmother. No swimming pool though. LOL

/ 08 Olypics... whos watching???? #2  
I was looking at some underwater shots of him swimming. He has feet as large as SCUBA fins!!

It's exciting to see a good American boy break so many records in one sitting; the 2008 Olympics.

When are the track events going to begin? I ran track in high school and look forward to the hurdles, triple jump and high jump events.

/ 08 Olypics... whos watching???? #3  
I'm watching in amazement. It's sad to say, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking some kind of funny business is going on. All the WR being broke?

/ 08 Olypics... whos watching???? #4  
My name is Mark and I am addicted to the Olympics! Haven't had a good night s sleep all week.

MarkV

/ 08 Olypics... whos watching???? #5  
We've watched it a little bit. Our 7 year old is fascinated by it and we watch it with him, which makes it fun for us. Otherwise, we wouldn't watch it as sports in general has very little interest for either of us.

Eddie

/ 08 Olypics... whos watching???? #6  
I'm barely watching. I find profound irony in the fact that the host country of an event that supposedly has some symbolism of harmony among nations is a country that still arrests and imprisons those of a certain religious persuasion who do not comply with the state registered churches.

I have read (so who knows?) that the majority of the opening fireworks show (something about footprints) was faked (cgi scripts) and the little girl who sang was lip-synching, so I find myself wondering if this whole Olympic event isn't perhaps being staged in a Hollywood set and not really happening at all:rolleyes: In fact, I'm no longer sure there even IS a country called China. After all, I've never seen it.....;)

/ 08 Olypics... whos watching???? #7  
I have given up. I think the networks have ruined sports. I love the sports but there is just too much talk and commercials. Just ruined. Same thing for football. Great sport, terrible on TV.:( :( :(

Chris

/ 08 Olypics... whos watching???? #8  
yeah....

my wife just about always watches them..........this is the first time i've actualy payed attention.......i've watched phelps more than anything.......i like how "average" and humble he is.....much respect from me!

/ 08 Olypics... whos watching????
What I heard the other day from one of the commentators about all of the records falling in swimming has a lot to do with the design of the pool. It was built deeper so there is less resistence on the swimmers and less waves, pressure means faster times. Also, I saw the swimmers suits...very high tech. Much like Lance Armstrongs riding suit that direct air around him and "pushed" him. Science has or is playing a large role in these games for sure.

/ 08 Olypics... whos watching???? #10  
We don't watch. I gave up on the Olympics years ago. Too much politics and cheating. Some of the Fat Cats who run the Olympics are maybe just a tad more ethical than the mob. They make alot of money of the atheletes. Most of the athletes ain't going to make any money win a medal. Phelps will but most wont. Just a big scam to make money.

The pool design has to be a factor but it would help everyone in the pool. Phelps seems to be blowing everyone out of the water. So while the pool design might help him it would also help the other swimmers.

I have not had time to kayak like I used too but I used to go on 20 mile paddles. If I went around a point where the water was shallow I could feel the boat slow down. The GPS showed it as well. I am on a listserver regarding kayaks. The list has a couple of kayak designers and builders. They had a conversation once about shallow water's effect on drag and speed. I thought I was feeling things and seeing things but I was not. The extra depth in the pool has to be helping but it would equally help everyone.

After the faked opening, a poor little girl being told she can sing but is too ugly to be seen, allegations of cheating already and my opinion regarding the Olympics has just been reinforced.

I have not watched an Olympics in decades and I doubt I ever will again.

Later,
Dan