Paslode vs. Hitachi Cordless Framing Nailer

/ Paslode vs. Hitachi Cordless Framing Nailer #1  

RavensRoost

Gold Member
Phoenix AZ and offgrid weekend place south of Pres
Tractor
John Deere 4500 and Mule 3010 (gas)
My hand -- knuckles in particular -- did not like the repeated abuse a hammer dished out in the course of building a 12' x 16' shed last winter. I decided that I will use a nail gun on the next project -- probably a "mancave" or a small guest house. As I am offgrid, I am thinking a cordless aka impact gun is the way to go.

I previously was only aware of the Paslode cordless, but see that Hitachi makes one now also. Hitachi is ~ $100 cheaper, can use the Paslode red fuel stick, and can use a variety of nails including a 3.5" long nail whereas the Paslode is 3.25" max.

Anyone have experience with the Hitachi, and perhaps someone that has used both? General info on nail guns that would be of help to a nail gun newbie is also very welcome. My guess is that any of them will probably outlive my need for one, just do not want to make any dumb choices.

RavensRoost

/ Paslode vs. Hitachi Cordless Framing Nailer #2  
My experience with Hitachi is 50/50. I have a jobsite 13" planer, commercial demo hammer/drill and a roofing gun. The planer is so so. The drill and roofing gun are fantastic. I have both Paslode finish and framing nailer and both have been used commercially without incident. I would gamble their cordless will perform.

Brad

/ Paslode vs. Hitachi Cordless Framing Nailer #3  
Having framed for a summer as a kid, the only thing the crew used was a full head air driven hitichi. After watching these guns take the abuse we dished out, there is no question that this is the gun to have.

41g29Lyh8-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

cordless=more hassle in the long run. If you only need to drive a few nails and dont want to get out the hose and compressor, why arnt you doing it by hand. IF you doing enough to not want to do it by hand, then you can take the few mins to roll out the hose.

the next gun ill get is a positive placement gun for shooting hangers.

/ Paslode vs. Hitachi Cordless Framing Nailer #4  
My Dad got a Pasalode shortly after Katrina hit when he went down with a crew to tarp roofs, (FEMA would only allow Pasalode cordless guns on the roofs) it has worked flawlessly since then, in spite of the abuse it has taken. however Hitachi is a good name and either should serve well.

on the corded vs. corded, I prefer the cordless nail guns, no hose to mess with (or for my brothers to nail through) also on a rooh (IMHO) they are safer. we redid my parents roof last fall and the hose was always in the way, we had a couple of near falls due to it. that said for putting a full roofs on, day after day, a air nail gun would be the way to go.

Aaron Z

/ Paslode vs. Hitachi Cordless Framing Nailer #5  
Glad this subject came up. I did not know Hitachi made a cordless. I think I'm buying a nailer this fall to do a bunch of work. Cordless up in the attic and some of the other work will be a lot easier to deal with than a compressor and a hose.

I did some googling last night and read in ONE review that the Hitachi had problems fully driving the nails. I think this was an article on Fine Homebuilding but I could only see a part of the article. Guess I should have kept my Fine Homebuilding subscripton. Journal of Light Construction is getting lighter and lighter. :confused: I don't know if they were trying to drive 3.5 inch nails in PT or just joining 2x4 togather.

Have to try to find more info on Hitachi. Happened to be at Lowes last night. They did not have what I wanted. :mad: Have we talked about this before. :D Anywho they had Paslode nails, nail guns, and fuel cells. No Hitachi cordless nail guns. Getting the supplies locally is pretty important for nail guns.

Later,
Dan

/ Paslode vs. Hitachi Cordless Framing Nailer #6  
My wife gave me a Paslode Framing Nailer, for Christmas about 6 years ago. Had to replace the O-ring once. Keep it clean and it is a workhorse.

/ Paslode vs. Hitachi Cordless Framing Nailer #7  
With 9 acres, my paslode cordless lets me work wherever I want. Dragging an genset, compressor to where I want to to a small project in the garden is not my idea of fun.

/ Paslode vs. Hitachi Cordless Framing Nailer
dmarthy, Amazon sells the Hitachi clipped head NR90GC for $249.95 and the round head model NR90GR $242.50....delivered to your door.

My understanding is that the Hitachi round head model takes same nails as several other guns.

Thanks for the input all. I am going to order the Hitachi round head cordless NR90GR.

RavensRoost

/ Paslode vs. Hitachi Cordless Framing Nailer #9  
I would go with the round head myself. I have a few cordless finish nailer guns, but stick / stuck with the compressor type framing nail gun for now. I have all Porter Cable nail guns and they have served me well over the years.

Just be sure to wear those safety glasses!