getting ready for a concrete pour

/ getting ready for a concrete pour #1  

irwin

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota L35TLB, '89' Cub Cadet 1541
The only concrete work I've done so far was sonotubes to anchor my pipe frame horse barn. This time I need a slab 25' x 30'. I'll have someone else do the pour, I want to do all the prep work. I'll be getting a carport soon.

My tractors have been kicked out of the barn to make room for hay...so I'm getting a plot ready to dig and build forms. Had to remove several large trees and many large rocks, almost done with that part of the job. Will be digging footings and prep work for forms.

Would love to see pictures of forms (set up and ready) before the pour. So if you have pictures or can add a link to a site I'd appreciate it.:)

Thanks....

Attachments

• misc2 044.jpg
    misc2 044.jpg
    824.3 KB · Views: 193
  • misc4 006.jpg
    misc4 006.jpg
    890.7 KB · Views: 199
  • misc4 002.jpg
    misc4 002.jpg
    885.7 KB · Views: 197
   / getting ready for a concrete pour #2  
There is a lot of work that goes into this before setting up the forms.

Scrape away topsoil, backfill in lifts, compact between lifts, drainage, vapor barrier, 2" of sand over vapor barrier, proper footings around edges.

Then forms, then set steel, always use dobes (pronounced dough-bee) under the steel to keep it off the bottom of the concrete. If a contractor tells you he can lift the steel during the pour and you don't need dobes, find someone else. Every slab I have ever torn out they had either used dobes or the steel was on the bottom.

Right now there are a lot of concrete guys available due to the construction slowdown. Get the one who will finish the concrete to tell you how to do the set up. Might cost a little extra, but it will be worth it.

/ getting ready for a concrete pour #3  
As Curly dave said...Also, go with a 5" slab.

Patrick T

/ getting ready for a concrete pour #4  
This is what my prep work looked like. 10x36 with a 4x26 strip along the side. For the forms I had some 4'x8'x3/4'' ply wood from work and cut it into 6'' rips and a 2x4's (from work) screwed to the backside top and bottom, and offset the ends 6'' so I can lap the ends. For stakes I used rebar from work. The one thing I would do different is drill holes through the 2x4 top and bottom so I could put the stakes there instead of on the outside. I have the forms and will post a pic later.

Attachments

• IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 186
   / getting ready for a concrete pour
Hookblock said:
This is what my prep work looked like. 10x36 with a 4x26 strip along the side. For the forms I had some 4'x8'x3/4'' ply wood from work and cut it into 6'' rips and a 2x4's (from work) screwed to the backside top and bottom, and offset the ends 6'' so I can lap the ends. For stakes I used rebar from work. The one thing I would do different is drill holes through the 2x4 top and bottom so I could put the stakes there instead of on the outside. I have the forms and will post a pic later.

Much appreciated Hookblock.
Did you have to dig footings for frost? Looking forward to more pictures.:)

/ getting ready for a concrete pour #6  
No footing just a slab on grade, 6x6'' mesh. This is an approach for the garage. Made a screed board with a notch on the end to rest on the garage floor so the approach is 1/2'' below the garage floor the other end is on the out side form. Followed that with a bull float, an edger between the form and the approach slab,and a broom finish. Next morning put a sealer on and saw cut, for a saw cut I used a 2x4 for a straight edge and a skill saw with a masonry blade set to 1/2'', with the concrete green= less dust. Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_0852_1.jpg
    IMG_0852_1.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0855_1.jpg
    IMG_0855_1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0857_1.jpg
    IMG_0857_1.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0861_1.jpg
    IMG_0861_1.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 139
   / getting ready for a concrete pour #7  
Did you really pour concrete right on top of that grass & weeds?

/ getting ready for a concrete pour #8  
I excavated 14" of sub soil and filled in (in lifts) a base of 6'' compacted gravel, vapor barrier, etc. with the 6" slab poured over that. 6" for heavier equipment.