Creek taking my yard.

/ Creek taking my yard. #1  

Steelfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC21D
I've been wrestling with a problem for about the last 10 years. My back yard is lower then the rest of my yard, and is bordered by a creek. The creek has no real bed, and overflows all the time. One year I raked, and shoveled 75 big wheelbarrow loads of stone, and dirt out of my yard. I know should have had my tractor then. The problem is the creek makes 2 bends of almost 90 degrees one right then left. It washes out about 3 to 4 feet of yard a year now. Does anyone know what my options are for correcting this problem? I do have some large stones down on the bank at one spot, and that helps a lot. Is the answer to get more stone, or build a dike or something else? Thanks in advance for replies. Kent

/ Creek taking my yard. #2  
Well at the lakes here they use rip-rap to prevent erosion. Rip-rap is basically driveway stone cut about softball size. When piled up thick against the bank it will virtually prevent any wash away. You can also use a special rot proof underliner that will make it even better. I have the exact same problem as you do. In some areas I get a double whammy because the water washing down to the creek erodes it from the top as well. Unfortunately I have way too much creek to try to solve it. Fortunately it is no where near my house so I can live with it better than your situation. Good luck!

/ Creek taking my yard. #3  
Not sure what the laws are there, but here in SE Michigan all creeks, drains, and most ditchs (I have one in my property) are controlled by the county or some other government body. You might want to check with them to see if there is anything they might do.
We used to live in Colorado and a neighbor had your exact issue. The county wouldnt fix it, but at least they provided the materials. As we know the materials can cost a bundle so it might be worth a call...

Good luck and make it fun with a tractor/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Creek taking my yard.
Thanks for the replies. I think Pa is a bit different. I remember after the '72 flood the state paid to reroute the creek. Ran a bulldozer down through it. But laws have changed here. The state controls more here in PA, and they are very very picky as to waterways. I can't see that all the stuff washing down the creek is good for the waterways, but they seem to care more about the oil that a tractor may leak. Thanks again Kent

/ Creek taking my yard. #5  
I'm in Florida and I had the same problem. I talked to the Water Managment District and tey told me it was bisically my problem. Then, the hogs came....

here in Florida, we have wild h ogs and they rooted up a whole area that was very shallow. So bad, it dammed it up. This casued the creed to back up into a sub division. Needless to say, the county is now involed, "bought" the drainage easement from me for the price of clearing a 40' swatch through my property (it goes back 1400') and 3 crossing put across the cress so I may cross with a vehical.

I would start contacting people in your goverment. They acually do get involved when propery is at stake and it has the potentail of being an enviormental and/or flodding issue.

/ Creek taking my yard. #6  
Steelfan: A cheap and easy fix for me in a similar situation was to take rolls of old fencing that were going to be discarded. I laid them in the problem areas and used iron rods to stake them. The old fencing would catch leaves and dirt and started rebuilding my problem areas. The old fencing will eventually break down and does not pollute. Mother nature does the hard part by haulling the dirt. The only problems are having access to old fence and until its covered, it doesn't look the best.

/ Creek taking my yard. #7  
Kent--

If I had this problem in my yard, I would consult with a hydrologist or civil engineer before embarking on any serious water control project--a couple hours of their time would probably be worthwhile given the amount of land you are losing to the creek. It may make sense to have a dozer or Bobcat come in and "channelize" the stream by straightening the sharp bends, and/or making the stream course better defined, before you start adding riprap or some such. Heavy equipment gives more bang for the buck than just about anything. If the land upstream is being developed, the problem will continue to get worse as upstream development modifies the watershed so water gets to the stream faster.

/ Creek taking my yard. #8  
I agree with Rick, any good civil engineer should be able to advise you what to do. When I worked for my father in law, who was a civil engineer, we had to develop plans for handling storm water all the time when we did sub-division plans. We did anything from designing a grass covered swale to concrete banks. Your profile indicates Central PA, perhaps you're familiar with the Codorus Creek that runs through York, PA. My FIL headed up the city's portion of the flood control project. A civil engineer would also know what would be considered wet lands. It's kind of surprising that what I used to call a ditch is now a protected wet land. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/ Creek taking my yard.
Thanks Rick, I think you're right, I know there are a lot of neighbors in the same boat here. This creek runs into the Susquehanna River about 1 mile from my house, but runs through my hollow for about for 8 miles. Everyone along that creek has the same problem. Thanks for your advice. Kent