Big impact wrenches

/ Big impact wrenches #1  

tractorman1234

Not sure if this is the right forum or not but here goes.

I have a 1991 International 4800 truck. It is a 5 ton I believe.

We use it out in the pasture and cut tires on occasion and due to the remote location the service call for a new tire is very expensive. The tires are only $300 each but to have them come out and replace it runs nearly $800. Anyway I have decided to buy a spare wheel and tire and the tools necessary to change it my self.

I have purchased a 20 ton jack that picks the truck up nicely and I bought a 1" drive impact from harbor freight. The lug nuts require a 1.5" socket. The impact will not break them loose. My air compressor is 12.3 cfm at 90 psi. A little low for the big impact which has a 1/2" inlet but fully charged up it should be at least able to break one loose I would think. It was a no go so I went and bought the 3/4" drive "earthquake" impact which is advertised at 1300 ft lbs thinking that it being smaller my air comp could drive it to the full potential but again to go.

I hate to go buy a $600 impact for this as the only thing I would use it for are the tires on this truck but I do not know what else to try. I tried using a breaker bar and getting them loose by hand but they are too tight. Any recommendations on a impact that will get the job done and not break the bank?

/ Big impact wrenches #2  
I had a similar issue dealing with changing hitch balls

I went with a torque multiplier - works great. Hitch ball torque is supposed to be about 450 ft-lb and this this worked with no effort at all.

I got this one at Northern Tool - least expensive I could find

Torque Multiplier | Torque Wrenches | Northern Tool + Equipment

I would expect this would do the trick for you

-Eric

/ Big impact wrenches #3  
My air compressor is 12.3 cfm at 90 psi.

But you didn't say what size air hose you're using; both diameter and length. You need half inch hose and couplers.

/ Big impact wrenches #4  
...I bought a 1" drive impact from harbor freight. The lug nuts require a 1.5" socket. The impact will not break them loose. My air compressor is 12.3 cfm at 90 psi. A little low for the big impact which has a 1/2" inlet ...

I agree with Bird that you need a bigger hose. That will help. I also think that 90 psi might be a little on the low side. The impact gun should say on it someplace what it requires for optimal power. There are also settings on some guns for how much power they have. Be sure you are set at the most powerful setting. Did you add oil to the impact gun? This helps too.

I've found that with really tight bolts and nuts, that the first few seconds is when I have the most power, then the air preasure drops and I'm just wasting my time until I get full preasure again. My compressor is set at 120 pounds, but it's just an Emglo wheelbarrow compressor that's not designed for constant air supply. It might take me half an hour to get off a really tight bolt with my 3/4 impact wrench, just because I have to wait on the air compressor to keep up.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Big impact wrenches #6  
Eddie, all those impact wrenches are "rated" at 90 psi, but you do get more power with higher air pressure. And a good dose of air tool oil into the air intake really does help. A few drops is usually adequate, but you cannot hurt the tool with too much; the surplus just blows out the exhaust.

/ Big impact wrenches #7  
They're running 3/4 @ 120psi at my work place doing semi trailer wheels all day long.

Somethings up if you can't get that 1" to bust em loose.

/ Big impact wrenches
Thanks for the replies.

My air hose is 3/8" 25'. Maybe that is the problem.

I was just wondering if it was a problem with the cheap harbor freight tools, or something else. I had a similar experience years ago with one of their 1/2" impacts. It would not bust the lug nuts on my truck loose and I got a Ingersol Rand and it removed them like butter.

My compressor is rated the 12.3 @ 90, but I had it turned up to 120 when I was trying to get the lug nuts off.

/ Big impact wrenches #9  
:confused: Something is wrong with your setup. What is the size of your compressor tank, what pressure are you running in it, does the output from the tank go straight to a 1/2" hose or does it go thru a regulator and a plug in connector???? How long and what size is the hose youre using? How many connectors in the hose line, is there 1 at the tool?
larry

/ Big impact wrenches
Tank is 60 gallon. Pressure is at 120 psi. It does go through a regulator, then a quick connect. To that a 25 foot 3/8" hose is connected, with a quick connect on the end and a quick connect on the impact.

We also mounted a quick connect on the air tank on the truck and ideally were hoping to use the air from the truck to run the impact but we tried that and it did not work either.