Utility ATV or golf cart?

/ Utility ATV or golf cart? #1  

FrogLick

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSD
My wife said she thought we needed a utility vehicle of some sort to carry buckets of deer corn around to the other side of our lake; this is a chore mostly done by her and the bucket is getting heavy. I'll almost certainly buy something used if I can get good condition and price. Before I got a tractor (w/loader) I had considered an ATV utility vehicle with a dump bed thinking it would be very useful for hauling things around but I'm glad I got the tractor instead and realize it's much more versatile. So now I'm thinking maybe an electric golf cart would just fit the bill for a few light chores and running around the property and over to the neighbors. It would be quiet and always ready to go if kept plugged in in the barn, probably less maintenance than an ATV (?), and about 1/3 the cost whether used or even new. I do have some hills but those I've driven on golf courses seem to handle them adequately. Anybody got any thought on this?

/ Utility ATV or golf cart? #2  
used gas one.

put a small lift on it, and some ATV tires and for everything but the most demanding tasks, it will perform just like one.

shoulc be all you need for hauling supplies around. build a little flat bed out back and they will haul a few hundred pounds of whatever just fine.

/ Utility ATV or golf cart? #3  
You've already got a tractor with a loader? Why not just use that and save the expense? :confused:

I suppose you have your reasons, therefore, I'd personally go with the ATV instead of golf cart. That's primarily because I'd think the ATV could simply do more and I know very little about golf carts. (actually, nothing :eek:)

/ Utility ATV or golf cart? #4  
If you already have a tractor for the heavy stuff, a cheap used golf cart for running around the property may be fun. Probably easier to get two buckets of corn on the back of a golf cart (just like clubs) than lifting them up into the back of a bed on a utility vehicle. Lots less expensive than a utility vehicle, too.

/ Utility ATV or golf cart? #5  
I've got an E-Z-GO electric that has a lift kit, oversized ATV style tires, and a non-dumping utility box on the back. To my mind, it is the perfect "run around the property" rig. As you pointed out in your original post, it is silent, low maintenance and cheap both to buy and to run. Mine was a lease return from a course. The company that had the lease then converts them with the lift kits and beds and sells them on eBay. I paid around $2,500 in 2004. If I had it to do over, I would by an unconverted lease return and do the conversion myself. They did a half-hearted job installing the lift kit and overlooked the fact that one of the springs was busted. I had to reinstall the lift kit and replace the spring, so I might as well have jumped in with both feet from the start. Check out a website called "buggies unlimited". They have all the stuff you need, from very basic to "I can't believe it" custom. There's a good forum there, too. You'll find just about an equal number of "Sparkies" and "Smokers" there. Both have their advantages. Personally, I'm a diehard Sparky. A little distilled water 3 or 4 times a year, change the batteries every 6 or 7 years -- that's my kind of maintenance schedule. I also like sneaking through my woods silently in the Spring and Fall. Though it is not 4WD, I have yet to get the thing stuck, and yes, I've tried (albeit not intently).

/ Utility ATV or golf cart? #6  
I have a Yamaha G19 48Volt electric golf cart. I have built a small bed on the back. I use it daily to run around and feed the goats, mend fences, ride the kids around, etc.... I have even ridden it to my Grandfathers house (3/4 mile away) and a neighbors house that is about the same distance.

When it's running good it's cheap. When you have problems it's expensive. 6 new 8 volt batteries cost $600.00. A "new" used charger $350.00. Rear Brakes $250.00. Of course I've had it about 5 years and it's not really expensive to charge. If you spread out the cost of buying it ($1800.00 5 years ago) and the cost of maintenance it has cost me about $3000.00 total or $600.00 a year to own it. It probably cost about $15.00 or $20.00 a month to keep it charged. A lot cheaper than payments on an UTV. Even though I would love a transmule 2 seater.

The main thing with an electric cart it not overly discharge it. When your not riding it you should plug it in. You also have to keep the batteries watered. I have to add water about once a month. Distilled water is $1.00 a gallon at Wally World.

Also, make sure you plug the charger into a surge suppressor. I had mine plugged into the same outlet as the fence charger. When lightening ran in on the fence charge it fried my golf cart charger. That was an expensive ($350.00) lesson. They are now on seperate circuits with each plugged into a surge suppressor.

An advantage is they are very quiet. I can't tell you how many times I have ridden up on deer in the woods behind the house because they didn't hear me coming. They are great around the goats, because they don't spook them when riding through the pasture.

I had a lift kit installed with 4-wheeler tires when I bought it.

Make sure you check underneath for ground clearance before buying. Some have way more than others. My Yamaha G19 actually only has about 4" of clearance (even with larger tires) in one spot due to a suspension brace. I have to watch and not hang that on stumps.

Chris

/ Utility ATV or golf cart? #7  
I'd go with an ATV or a REAL 4 wheel cart (Kubota, Polaris, etc) especially if you have some decent hills on the place. Or I'd get a gas cart and leave the wheel size stock. Problem is when you put the bigger tires on there you change the gear ratio, thus no power on a good hill. A friend had that problem. On flat ground it was fine. But I had to pull him up a hill twice. Also if you really get in some rough areas, the 2wd won't get you very far.

JMHO...

Rob

/ Utility ATV or golf cart? #8  
I bought a used Club Car gas cart off ebay a couple years ago. It's perfect for what you are describing. Plus, it has a hitch on the rear bumper which I use to attach a garden cart to haul trash cans, firewood, etc. You might be surprised at how quiet the gas carts are. The Club Car also has an aluminum frame (no rust), it's economical and easy to maintain. The kids like to drive it around too.

/ Utility ATV or golf cart?
Thanks to all of you for the input. I assume that the "lift kit" a number of you referred to is something to increase ground clearance? And the ATV tires to increase traction? Haven't looked at any golf carts just yet (looked at the Kubota UTV at my ag dealer when there yesterday) but they probably have 4-5" clearance standard? I'm going to check with a couple of golf cart dealers around here next week if I get a chance to see what's available.

/ Utility ATV or golf cart? #10  
Golf cats ae really nice. They are easy to drive and have very sort turning radious. Mine is a gas EZ Go. I put gas in it about twice a year and the wife drives it back and forth to the horse barn at least once a day. And it gets used for opening gates ect and rides around the neighbor hood. This one has a 4 inch lift and 26 in tires. The local Montana delaear sells made in china ones brand new for $1700.

horncart.jpg