Hotcote Electric fence install

/ Hotcote Electric fence install #1  

rgood

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2210D
Hi ya'll - Can anyone post a picture of an electric fence "HotCote" corner install. (installed so it can be tightened, but doesn't short out to anything) I know you'd think I'd be able to get this info from the company I bought the hotcote from but all they come up with are crude drawings that are not sufficient enough to show the work.

Thanks !

/ Hotcote Electric fence install #2  
I am just finishing up my fence only I used Centaur's "White Lighning" because Tractor Supply had it on a good price for closeout.

I had a border who had a professional install done a few years ago when he bought his own place. Wished I had taken pictures.

Anyway, I routed my wire on the outside of the corner braces. I used the 4" white plastic tubes for my wooden line posts. You can buy 100' rolls of this white plastic tubing to use for the corners which is what I did. I cut the length dependent on the angle so it is away from the post.

Some catalogs have corners pictured with maybe two screw on plastic post clips. I chose the tubing to economize.

One of these days I just may have to get into digital photography in order to post pictures. Sorry about that.

/ Hotcote Electric fence install #3  
I too used the short tubes for the line posts and then cut longer, more flexible tubing from a roll for the corners. But mine was brown. :)

Have a good one,
Neil.

/ Hotcote Electric fence install #4  
My god that stuff is expensive!

Why not use pieces of an old water hose to wrap the corners?

/ Hotcote Electric fence install
Once you get a line/side completed (say this is a North/South line), how do you tie it to the East West line so that it is a solid connection. This is why a picture would say a 1000 words.

/ Hotcote Electric fence install #6  
On a regular electric fence, you would tie off the east west end with insulators, and then jumper wire to the north-south fence (assuming the north south goes back to the charger).

There would have to be some variation to this for the hotkote stuff. I read that there is a regular wire buried underneath the plastic. Probably strip the plastic on the lines to get to this wire to jumper across.

Heres a picture showing the insulators I use for junctions, ends and corners.

In an end application the fence wire wraps around the insulator and back onto itself.

Attachments

• 6782742.jpg
    6782742.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 153
   / Hotcote Electric fence install #7  
I used a little bit of everything for my install partly because I had a good stock of high tensile parts on hand and partly to try hardware that I was not familiar with.

On some runs, I used the insulated strainers on one end and the insulating donuts on the other. Part of my install borders some big trees so I used the wrap around reinforced plastic high tensile insulators with springs and standard strainers to soften the blow should a tree fall on the fence.

In the end, I decided I like using the reinforced insulators the best. Simply strip back about 30 inches of the wire coating, slip on some crimps and make my loop. Much faster than the donuts IMHO.

That then is how I would make a "T" if I am understanding your question? I would run my straight through wire with the 4" insul tubes. For my intersecting run, I would terminate with the insulators. I use three crimps, two for holding the end and one for the electric. Pick one of the rows and for that row, plan on using a split bolt for the electrical connections. The Hotcote plastic covering is easy to strip off of a line. Just cut it to the wire in two places and take a pair of lineman's pliars and pinch it between two of the black lines. Use a split bolt to tap into that line to power the intersecting line.

"My god that stuff is expensive!

Why not use pieces of an old water hose to wrap the corners?"

One supplier has it at $15.50 for 100 feet of Hotcote Tube. I maximized my pasture at the added expense of more braces rather than straight runs. For those minimal angles, I used maybe six inches of tubing. For the 90 degree corners, I used about ten or eleven inches depending on my post diameter but could have cut back to maybe eight or nine if I had wanted to give more thought to the layout. (When you slip the tubing on, everything needs to be in the correct order so it gets tricky at times). Anyway, you can get plenty of corners out of 100 feet of tubing. Why chance old water hose breaking down?

/ Hotcote Electric fence install #8  
PS, I did not use the donuts in order to keep my wire inside on the corners. I felt that with the coating, staying on the outside with the wider radius would be better for making even tension.

I felt that the donut would crimp the corner and/or break down the coating in that area.

/ Hotcote Electric fence install #9  
The tubeing isn't that expensive, the hotkote wire is!

/ Hotcote Electric fence install
Right, it's not cheap - Hopefully it lasts and will be maintenance free - I bought it because I had a "Regular wire" electric fence one time that a horse got tangled up in - That regular wire cut him up like just a like a knife.

I've tried other kinds of electric and it doesn't seem very durable.

Thanks for the replies guys