Sounds

/ Sounds #11  
I have 2 antique clocks with beautiful sounding gongs on them. I love to wind them up and listen to them chime the hour. :) My wife can't stand the noise. I haven't wound them up in years now.:(

/ Sounds #12  
This reminds me. I have to get my cuckoo clock fixed. I love that sound.
Trains used to run down the other side of the lake. Love that sound too but it's been gone 30 years since the mine closed up north.
I also lived at the leeward end of an air force runway for two years. I could go to the airshow tomorrow and ID those jets by their sound. I don't miss that one bit. It's hard to enjoy a sound that consumes all other sounds.
We are planning a house build and my wife did not like my ideas for the location of the master bedroom. This year she got to hear the waves on the shore at night. Now she understands why I want that sound to come in my bedroom window. :)

/ Sounds #13  
Growing up there was a piano musician living downstairs in the apartment building. I listened to him practice for 20 years of my life. Since every player has a personal touch, listening to him from a CD or life concert takes me back like magical carpet:)

Our Virginia home, the most distinguished sound are frogs. Love that noise, it really spells spring to me.

And there come dogs barking their heads off, sheep yelling for grain, horse kicking the gate to get some attention and extra food....:D

/ Sounds #14  
We also have a couple of "chimers"/"gongers" in the house. A grandfather clock downstairs and a surprisingly vocal mantle clock in the bedroom. I also enjoy the ticking, chiming on the quarter hour, and gonging on the hour.
I've always thought the ticking of a clock was relaxing.

Of course I always enjoy sleeping with the window open so I can here all the critters at night and the birds in the morning, also very relaxing.

Mark

/ Sounds #15  
The only clock that made a sound around here was one of those stupid battery powered bird clocks that makes a different bird sound every hour. The novelty of that wore off after about a day. I yanked the bird sound battery out of it and now it just makes a clicking sound when it tries to "tweet":D

For me, there is nothing like relaxing on the back deck listening to the sound of cicadas "singing" on a hot summer day or hearing the distant whistle from the Tottenham Steam train about 8 km away. Time seems to stand still.

/ Sounds #16  
Whether a sound (or noise) is good or bad just depends on the individual. We moved to our present home 3 years ago and heard a rooster crowing every day for awhile, but then someone complained and there's an ordinance prohibiting such "noise" in the city. So the kid had to get rid of her pet rooster. A rooster crowing, cattle lowing, donkey braying are kinda pleasant sounds to me, but I can understand how that might not be true for others.

/ Sounds #17  
The sound of a rooster in the morning is what its all about for me bird. Nothing better to wake up first thing in the morning, open up the windows and hear a rooster call form the neighbouring farm. Makes me automatically want to fill my lungs with fresh air and get on with the day, I now firmly believe it is an involuntary response to the sound of the rooster!!

Had thoughts of setting up my own coop but not for another while.

Theres a grain store half a mile up the road from me that gives me plenty of "sound" this time of year. Extractor fans, conveyor belts and grain drying machinery. Not so loud that its uncomfortable, but a background noise similar to hearing a tumble drier running in the utility room... only outside.

At the beginning of the harvest, I enjoy the sound of tractors going to and from the site and all the other sounds associated with the processing of the grain. After 4-6 weeks I JUST WANT IT ALL TO STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!

I came home from work last night and started to do a few chores out in the garden. I had this strange buzzing in my ears and it took me a while to figure out what was causing it... I had grown accustomed to the background noise of the grain store. They had everything shut off lastnight and what I was hearing was a deafening silence!!! Harvest and grain processing must be coming to an end for the year....

I cant complain though, for the other 46 weeks of the year its nice and peaceful where I live. Grain store was there before I built my house so we knew what to expect.

Last edited: