What kind of snake is this?

/ What kind of snake is this? #1  

BB_TX

Veteran Member
Home-1+ acres New Hope, TX / 24 acres-Fannin Count
Tractor
JD 950
Found this in my garden, hung up in my bird netting and already dead. Don't recall ever seeing one like this before.

Attachments

• snake1x.jpg
    snake1x.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 318
  • snake2x.jpg
    snake2x.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 297
   / What kind of snake is this? #2  
The back looks like what people around here call a garter snake. I believe the correct name is eastern ribbon, but they do not have blue bellys.

/ What kind of snake is this? #4  
Good Afternoon Bill,
I agree with Tig, it looks like some type of garter snake. I did a quick search and came up with 3 or 4 different varieties of garter snakes for your area. Your first picture is the one that makes me feel its a garter.

/ What kind of snake is this?
Thanks. You guys are fast. The second link leaves no doubt. I thought it was too fat to be a garter snake. But the link posted above shows one that had eaten a frog and has a lump in the mid section. And there have been a lot of small toads around this area this year.

/ What kind of snake is this? #7  
All snakes in the U.S. that have stripes running the length of the body are nonvenomous.

/ What kind of snake is this? #8  
For some reason you usually only see small garter snake. That's a pretty good sized one. It's also one you like to see.

/ What kind of snake is this? #10  
Yep, toads everywhere.

Last night I was walking along the lighted walkway between garage and house. Toad hopped from grass onto sidewalk. I said: "howdy, Toad, let me step over you." So, I elongated my stride and stepped about a foot over him... except at the last instant he jumped right under my foot:eek:

Well, sad to say, I "stomped that sucker flat:eek:!" My foot slid and slid and, being off balance from the long step, I ended up on my kiester....

One less toad here now.