Nuts!

/ Nuts! #21  
Egon: you could make a decent smoking pipe from them - the European version of corn cob pipe:)

Also I am not sure how poisonous they are, since every year we were collecting them to feed zoo animals, at least it was the reason they told us - maybe they used them to build secret communistic weapons, them KGBs:D

There is a superstition to carry three chestnuts in your pocket to prevent joints pain, never tried it myself.

But horse chestnut is a traditional tree for beer gardens, because birds don't like them too much - means there is a lot less droppings on tables and quests.

/ Nuts! #22  
One should have a Stein with the cover to protect the Czech Heritage Brews Holding to the laws of 156? !!:D:D

/ Nuts! #23  
I guess everyone know the old Christmas song about "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" (I think that's the right line) but I wouldn't know a chestnut if I saw one. Do they grow in the south? And are they a popular food nut?

Bird,

The MU extension people support the idea of growing chestnuts commercially as well as in the home garden. They have worked on improved strains, which as MossRoad said (I think) are mainly imported strains. They grow fairly easily and can be very productive. Many folks really like the flavor, but they are one nut I can do without. They pretty much have to be cooked some way before eating, otherwise they are kinda like raw peanuts....some people like them, but most don't. However, some people seem to love them roasted, though to me they are bland and have a rubbery texture. They can be ground up and used as a soup base, and that tastes OK to me. I'm growing pecans, English walnuts, hazelnuts, heartnuts, almonds, and I'd grow cashews if I could, but no chestnuts. I wonder if I'd like the native American chestnuts.

Chuck

/ Nuts! #24  
I heard and have read the american chestnut was a very sweet chestnut. the asian strains that you find in the store sometimes are a poor comparison to the taste of the american chestnut.
I have found that oikos tree farm has a couple species of american chestnut crosses and some of the douglass crosses.
Next year when i plant for our CRP (CREP) program i am planting black walnut, butternut, hickory, and hazlenuts. I have some of the hardy almonds growing now. I do want to try some of the oikos chestnuts, but i will plant them in an area that i am doing selective firewood cuts. I just need to cut more out before i can plant them. lots of beech due to the deer.

How do you like the heart nuts, are they like a walnut?
thanks.

/ Nuts! #25  
Do you eat them?
I personally never have, but was told you could cook the 'meat' in them, and after reading this thread not really sure what kind I have. I know the tree has to be roughly 50 years old, and I am in Ontario, so based on the other trees around this property I think it is native...

/ Nuts! #26  
I heard and have read the american chestnut was a very sweet chestnut. the asian strains that you find in the store sometimes are a poor comparison to the taste of the american chestnut.
I have found that oikos tree farm has a couple species of american chestnut crosses and some of the douglass crosses.
Next year when i plant for our CRP (CREP) program i am planting black walnut, butternut, hickory, and hazlenuts. I have some of the hardy almonds growing now. I do want to try some of the oikos chestnuts, but i will plant them in an area that i am doing selective firewood cuts. I just need to cut more out before i can plant them. lots of beech due to the deer.

How do you like the heart nuts, are they like a walnut?
thanks.

I just planted two heartnut trees this year, and then I killed one of them with fertilizer. The one I didn't kill grew like a weed, so I'm getting a couple more to have good pollination. They are supposed to taste something like English walnuts...we'll see. Your butternut can cross pollinate them I have heard. Have you looked at the English (Carpathian) walnuts? They grow pretty fast and produce early.

Chuck

/ Nuts! #27  
Bird,

The MU extension people support the idea of growing chestnuts commercially as well as in the home garden. They have worked on improved strains, which as MossRoad said (I think) are mainly imported strains. They grow fairly easily and can be very productive. Many folks really like the flavor, but they are one nut I can do without. They pretty much have to be cooked some way before eating, otherwise they are kinda like raw peanuts....some people like them, but most don't. However, some people seem to love them roasted, though to me they are bland and have a rubbery texture. They can be ground up and used as a soup base, and that tastes OK to me. I'm growing pecans, English walnuts, hazelnuts, heartnuts, almonds, and I'd grow cashews if I could, but no chestnuts. I wonder if I'd like the native American chestnuts.

Chuck

Chuck, you know some folks like raw peanuts. In fact, my parents did. Now I'm a peanut addict, but I want mine roasted; never did care for raw ones. I also like most other nuts, but about the only time I eat them is in the Planter's Mixed Nuts, or more recently the Great Value Mixed Nuts.:D

/ Nuts! #28  
Boiled Peanuts!

Yum Yum

My dad and I were driving to FLA one time and we got to hankering for boiled peanuts. Can't remember the name of the store but it kinda sorta looked like a Plantation house. It was on I75 close to the GA/FLA line. We filled up the Jeep and started driving the back roads until we found some fresh boiled peanuts. :D Messy but good.

We seem to be talking alot about food lately. :eek::D Is it because winter is getting close and we are trying to fatten up for the season? :D:D:D

Later,
Dan

/ Nuts! #29  
Bird,

I can eat raw peanuts, but like you I much prefer them roasted. I don't care for the boiled ones either. I don't know if anyone likes raw chestnuts....I sure don't. Have you ever tasted a raw cashew? I bet they taste "different" too. I once walked past a place where they were roasting raw cashews and the smell was so good I bought enough to darn near kill me. Didn't try a raw one though. Pecans, walnuts and hazelnuts I prefer raw. Almonds are good either way, but smoked almonds are another one of those things I can founder myself on.

Chuck

/ Nuts! #30  
Use to get wok roasted chestnuts from street vendors in Singapore. Bag of chestnuts go good with a few tiger beers!

mark