Nuts!

/ Nuts! #1  

N1ST

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I picked a bucket of what I thought were chestnuts today. Came home, cooked a few in the microwave for a minute, poped it in my mouth and YUCK!

Description: There are 1 or 2 nuts in each pod. The pod is dark brown with small prickers about 1/8" and not too dense. The inner shell is beautiful brown, lighter in color then typical chestnuts. Some swirlling patterns on the shell. Some are as large as a golf ball. Inner meat is about the same color as a chestnut but very bitter.

So what are these beautiful nuts?

/ Nuts! #2  
Buckeyes. I've always heard they were poisonous, but perhaps they are just really high in tannins, like most acorns.

Chuck

/ Nuts! #3  
My first thought was acorns, but that doesn't really sound right, either. I guess you don't have any pictures to show us?

/ Nuts! #5  
I guess everyone know the old Christmas song about "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" (I think that's the right line) but I wouldn't know a chestnut if I saw one. Do they grow in the south? And are they a popular food nut?

/ Nuts! #6  
but I wouldn't know a chestnut if I saw one
how many do you want?...I can mail them
the wife every year tries to dry a bunch out and fills a glass jar every year for decoration....

/ Nuts!
800px-Aesculus_hippocastanum_fruit.jpg
Image:Aesculus_hippocastanum_fruit.jpg
Buckeyes. I've always heard they were poisonous, but perhaps they are just really high in tannins, like most acorns.

Chuck

Yup, According to Wiki, I think you guys that said Buckeyes/Horse Chestnuts are right. See the picture above. The only difference between the pic and what I picked, is that my prickely pods are dark brown. Anybody need a 5 gal bucket of them? :D Actually they won't go to waste, I'll give them to the deer this winter.

/ Nuts! #10  
I guess everyone know the old Christmas song about "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" (I think that's the right line) but I wouldn't know a chestnut if I saw one. Do they grow in the south? And are they a popular food nut?

Bird,
True American Chestnuts are no longer available. All of the chestnut trees died from disease many, many years ago. There are a few survivors and people are working on cross breeding them with foreign chestnuts. All of the chestnuts that you can buy today are from non-native chestnut trees or imported from other countries.