Tree / Insect issue?

/ Tree / Insect issue? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
The first pic is what caught my attention to look closer. Shavings from the tree at the base. Most of them were blown away due to some heavy winds.

Small holes in a circular patern going around the tree.

Almost looked like flying ants when I saw them (didn't have the camera with me at the time and it may be too cold now where I'm not seeing anything moving).

Anyone have an idea of what type of "pest" I'm looking at?

Hate to admit this, don't even know how long it's been going on.

Attachments

• base.JPG
    base.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 121
   / Tree / Insect issue? #4  
I've seen some type bumble bees that bore holes in wood. Don't know about trees

/ Tree / Insect issue? #5  
I've seen some type bumble bees that bore holes in wood. Don't know about trees

When those bees first showed up on nature's scene, there was some other kind of wood? :)

You must be talking about carpenter bees, but those don't look like carpenter bee holes.

/ Tree / Insect issue? #8  
While it looks like sapsucker holes to me, it also might be pine borers. The holes in your tree are lined up, looking like sapsucker holes. Pine borers normally have more random holes. Both the sapsucker attack and pine borers indicates a tree in stess. The stressed tree produces more sugars and attracts pests.

Here is a link to info on borers and some photos. Click on the number on the left of the page to bring up the image. If you see bugs that look like this, they could be your problem or at least part of it. I think pine borers are a problem in southern white pine. A Goggle search for pine borer will get you lots of hits.

Pine Borers