Tractor
    F3080

Default Tree / Insect issue?

The first pic is what caught my attention to look closer. Shavings from the tree at the base. Most of them were blown away due to some heavy winds.

Small holes in a circular patern going around the tree.

Almost looked like flying ants when I saw them (didn't have the camera with me at the time and it may be too cold now where I'm not seeing anything moving).

Anyone have an idea of what type of "pest" I'm looking at?

Hate to admit this, don't even know how long it's been going on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tree / Insect issue?-base-jpg   Tree / Insect issue?-2-jpg   Tree / Insect issue?-3-jpg  
    Just because you can't do everything, doesn't mean that you have to chose to do nothing.

Katrinaville LA west of Westwego east of Ama south of River Ridge north of Boutte, above sea level
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326

Default Re: Tree / Insect issue?

I'm not sure but those holes could be woodpecker holes made when eating termites in the tree.

Tractor
    F3080

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho8 View Post
    I'm not sure but those holes could be woodpecker holes made when eating termites in the tree.
    I thought the exact same thing, but the darn thing is I usually don't see any woodpeckers around these particular trees.
    Just because you can't do everything, doesn't mean that you have to chose to do nothing.

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

I've seen some type bumble bees that bore holes in wood. Don't know about trees

Tractor
    Power Trac PT-425 / Branson 3520

Quote Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
    I've seen some type bumble bees that bore holes in wood. Don't know about trees
    When those bees first showed up on nature's scene, there was some other kind of wood?

You must be talking about carpenter bees, but those don't look like carpenter bee holes.

Tractor
    Ford 3910 86'

The holes look like they are from the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. A woodpecker that eats tree sap.

All About Birds: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
    Dana in Alabama

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4700

Bird Peck's.

Later,
    Dan

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

While it looks like sapsucker holes to me, it also might be pine borers. The holes in your tree are lined up, looking like sapsucker holes. Pine borers normally have more random holes. Both the sapsucker attack and pine borers indicates a tree in stess. The stressed tree produces more sugars and attracts pests.

Here is a link to info on borers and some photos. Click on the number on the left of the page to bring up the image. If you see bugs that look like this, they could be your problem or at least part of it. I think pine borers are a problem in southern white pine. A Goggle search for pine borer will get you lots of hits.

Pine Borers
    Jim