We Have a New Wood Burning Stove

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Well,
I have always wanted one.
We have a large supply of wood available.
I enjoy cutting, splitting and stacking wood.

So we bought a Napoleon 1400P from a local company and had it installed in our basement with a class A chimney run up through the floor, ceiling and roof. It took the installer about 3 hours from start to finish. I will box in the chase for the chimney where it passes through the first floor. I did some research for quite a while, priced out everything and the local store quoted me almost exactly the same prices. Installation labor was under $500.00, so we had them do it. Can't beat that.

We are supposed to make 3 small kindling fires and let them go out and cool the stove to drive the moisture out of the bricks in the stove and cure the paint, etc... then we can start buring a normal fire. Just the small kindling fire burning for 1/2 hour raised the temp in the house by two degrees.

We opted for the plain black everything with no trim, etc... on the stove. It is in a room about 15 X 22 and should heat the entire basement with ease. After we are used to building the fires and getting it to burn correctly, we will see how it affects the 1st floor. They gave me some hints about return air, venting to the 1st floor, etc... and said I should have no trouble heating the entire house with it. We are also lucky in that we have a 4' wide outside access stairway with only 8 steps and metal doors that we can store several days worth of wood inside only about 10 feet from the stove. That will keep the mess down.

Downside is I have to clean the basement and finish off the room now. More work! What was I thinking?? :eek: :)

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #2  
Well,
I have always wanted one.
We have a large supply of wood available.
I enjoy cutting, splitting and stacking wood.

I'am sure you'll save alot on heating

Did you ever cut split stack wood as a kid :confused:?? As a kid, that was a weekend chore for me.:( As an adult, I hope I never have to cut ,split & stack wood again.;)

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #3  
Nice looking stove. Did you purchase the optional blower? Care to share the price? :D

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove
Nice looking stove. Did you purchase the optional blower? Care to share the price? :D

We will try it without the blower for a while and see how it does. The base price of the stove was about $1200.00. You want a door with that stove? Add a couple hundred more. The reason the sell it without a door is so many people customize them with all kinds of fancy trim and doo-dads. So, about $1500 for the stove, $1200 for the pipes and $500 for the install. :)

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #5  
MOSS,
You probably wont need the blower if the stove is in the basement and on the north end of it.
The only trouble with new stoves is they stink wicked while the "newness is burning :(
off"
ALAN

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #6  
Congratulations on the new stove, the wood will warm you twice, cutting and burning. Nothing beats backing up to a wood stove on a cold day.

A word of advice, check with your insurance provider if you have not already. I ran into this problem myself, some insurance companies will not cover your home if you burn wood. My insurance company had to do an inspection and take photos before they would continue coverage. If you don't inform them and if you have a fire they would deny your claim. Not trying to put a damper (pun not intended) on your new stove experience but thought you should know.

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #7  
Hey Moss, congratulations !!
That's a nice looking and nice sized stove. It should heat your whole house with it downstairs like that. We noticed the upstairs was 5 degrees warmer than downstairs where our stove is.
I take it you've never had one before like us? We got a Hampton brand and are in the same place you are... We just got our "burn in" completed last week getting ready for Winter too. It was cool last week (30's at night, high 50's in the day) but dang, this week is in the 80's !! Anyway, I'm looking forward, just like you are, to cutting and splitting and stacking wood. Have to build a "woodshed" of some sort and also a pallet to transport about a half rick up to the deck from below.
Oh, I know that break in "smell" too. But it's all gone now.
Good luck with the rest of the basement work. But at least you'll be warm.:)

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #9  
Nice looking stove. If you get a chance take a few pictures of your actual installation. I am interested in just how they ran the pipe up through the house? Heck you might get a bit of heat out of the pipe also upstairs.

Well, you've joined the group of wood burners and will enjoy the smell of the wood burning as you drive up to your home. Then there is the cutting, splitting, stacking, hauling, burning and carrying out the ashes. All fun and provides things to do for at least three season a year.

Be sure to use quality dry hard wood!

/ We Have a New Wood Burning Stove #10  
The stove looks quite a bit like ours and seems to operate the same. We have an ash box in the bottom of the stove which the one Moss bought has as well. Funny thing is that we have only used the ash box a few times. We just empty the ash into a bucket. Seems easier. :D

We had temps in the mid 80s the week but the lows are going to drop into the low 40's maybe the high 30's this weekend. I have to go winterize the well house and get some firewood up to the house today. We will have our first fire for the season tonight.

Later,
Dan