Winter Wheat in S.E. Wisconsin ?

/ Winter Wheat in S.E. Wisconsin ? #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
The fellow who leases my land planted soybeans this year and has now planted winter wheat. I know nothing about winter wheat. I have never seen it in the last 4 years he has been planting corn/beans/corn/beans, etc. Now winter wheat. Can anyone explain how winter wheat fits into this cycle?
Bob

/ Winter Wheat in S.E. Wisconsin ? #2  
Price of wheat was really good last spring. He is trying to get a little extra crop in. Since the soybeans are harvested earlier than corn, he believes he can get wheat started and growing in time. The downside is next year, he will have to harvest the wheat (late june, early july) before he can plant again. Therefore, his next crop maybe planted later than usual and the yeild of that crop (usually soybeans again) has a good chance of being less than a normal year. He will have to notill directly into the wheat stubble to get a chance at his next crop. It is a bit of a gamble on his part. In my area I see it done occassionally but not often. My neighbors did it this year but the wheat crop harvested in the spring/early summer was marginal and the soybean crop this fall was also marginal.

/ Winter Wheat in S.E. Wisconsin ?
The downside is next year, he will have to harvest the wheat (late june, early july) before he can plant again. Therefore, his next crop maybe planted later than usual and the yeild of that crop (usually soybeans again) has a good chance of being less than a normal year.

So, he will follow this wheat crop with soybeans next summer?
Bob

/ Winter Wheat in S.E. Wisconsin ? #4  
So, he will follow this wheat crop with soybeans next summer?
Bob

In Michigan, they ussually do not follow up with another crop after they harvest the wheat.

/ Winter Wheat in S.E. Wisconsin ? #5  
The fellow who leases my land planted soybeans this year and has now planted winter wheat. I know nothing about winter wheat. I have never seen it in the last 4 years he has been planting corn/beans/corn/beans, etc. Now winter wheat. Can anyone explain how winter wheat fits into this cycle?
Bob

The fellow who leases from me did the same thing last year. Harvested the wheat in June then bailed what was left for bedding for his cows. He didn't plant anything after the wheat this summer and said he will follow up with corn next spring.

Mark

/ Winter Wheat in S.E. Wisconsin ? #6  
There is also a "shorter/late" variety of beans (shorter growing season) that are planted (no-tilled usually) right after the wheat/straw is removed or can be interplanted in the beans in the spring but bean plant losses are increased by the harvest traffic of wheat/straw, thus decrease in bean bu/acre in the fall. I just learned this recently as I was looking to plant around 30 acres of wheat this fall but decided against it due to budget/economy at this time. It was going to cost $200-$300/acre to plant/fertilize this fall and topdress N in the spring, while the neighbor has straw he can't sell for $1.50/bale- the cost of fertilizer doesn't off-set the cost of straw per bale. I have some resources to market straw for more than that, but the neighbors combine wasn't set right and has many wheat seeds still in the straw, which attracts more rodents/mice.

Hope this helps.

Also- wheat can be added to the rotation if hay is planned into the rotation after wheat, but its not necessary. I'm located in central/SW Ohio - not sure about Wisconsin.

/ Winter Wheat in S.E. Wisconsin ?
Also- wheat can be added to the rotation if hay is planned into the rotation after wheat, but its not necessary. I'm located in central/SW Ohio - not sure about Wisconsin.

No hay planned that I know of. I read some articles that indicate corn/beans/winter wheat rotation. Does that sound right?
Bob

/ Winter Wheat in S.E. Wisconsin ? #8  
I find some of this very interesting. In my part of the world you can plant all three crops in a two year time frame if all goes well but you will suffer a little lower yield with the soybeans. The part that really got my attention is soybeans are harvested there earlier. Here our early corn is ready about Labor Day and mine was just combined two weeks ago, partly due to wet fields but my corn was as late to be combined as any around. There has been very few soybeans cut yet as for we are at the first of the soybean harvesting now and that will last until even after Thanksgiving by one or two farmers. No idea why they wait so late to cut theirs but for some reason do. Wheat here comes in it sounds like about same as there but if all goes well combine leaves the fields and the planter pulls in to plant soybeans. No till here is not big, between the combine planter is a disk. kt

/ Winter Wheat in S.E. Wisconsin ? #9  
I will be planting all my fields in winter wheat but because of a tractor breakdown and rain it still is not in the ground. I will also be planting wheat in my bean fields but again the beans have not yet been combined because of the late start that they had in the spring. My reason for wheat is because of the destruction to my beans from deer and groundhogs. I will follow the wheat with some type of grass.

/ Winter Wheat in S.E. Wisconsin ? #10  
Winter wheat can also be used as a ground cover that is [lowed down in spring as a soil amendment. It is also used to surpress weeds.