Platinum Member firefighter9208's Avatar
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800

Default Post pic of your chicken coups and runs

Hey guys and gals,

I'm thinking about getting a few chickens (8 to 10) to go along with the goats, dogs, and cats. I have a 24x36 barn that has 4'x6' stalls down each side. I'm thinking about converting two of the stalls (4'x12') into a coup. I would then cut a hole 6"x12" in the wall to let the chickens outside. I thought I would then close in an area on the outside of the barn with chicken wire for a run. Maybe 12'x36' or so with wire all around the sides and on top.

I would rather clip their feathers and let them free range in the pasture, but my wife doesn't like this idea. I also have a lot of possums, coons, and armadillos that would be competing for the chickens and eggs. I also don't want to have to close up the coup every night to keep things out of the hen house, that's why I was thinking about a run.

What do you guys think???? Please post pics of your coups, runs, or how you "keep" your chickens.

Chris
    2004 Kubota M4800 with Bushhog M346 Loader with 6' Heavy Duty Bucket and Bale Spear. 6' Bushhog SQ720 Mower, Bushhog RDTH72 Finish Mower. Bushhog 3pth Log Splitter. Andy Tatro Grapple. Home Made 48" pallet forks.

1966 Farmall 140 with cultivators and fertilizer attachment.

1999 F250 LWB Ext. Cab 7.3L Powerstroke, ZF 6 Speed, Chip, Exhaust, Cool Air Intake.

2009 Chevrolet Traverse

1969 Mach1 Mustang 351W. Too much to list.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Post pic of your chicken coups and runs

I keep my chickens in a portable house that I periodically move around my field with my tractor. I use an electric fence (Premier poultry fence) to keep out the predators. the chickens are in my fallow vegetable plot each year.

Platinum Member

This thread would be a good start:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/r...s-related.html
    --------------------------------
    shawn

Platinum Member firefighter9208's Avatar
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800

Quote Originally Posted by dooleysm View Post

Yeah, I've read through that thread. A lot of people talked about their runs/coups etc..., but a lot didn't post pics.

Chris
    2004 Kubota M4800 with Bushhog M346 Loader with 6' Heavy Duty Bucket and Bale Spear. 6' Bushhog SQ720 Mower, Bushhog RDTH72 Finish Mower. Bushhog 3pth Log Splitter. Andy Tatro Grapple. Home Made 48" pallet forks.

1966 Farmall 140 with cultivators and fertilizer attachment.

1999 F250 LWB Ext. Cab 7.3L Powerstroke, ZF 6 Speed, Chip, Exhaust, Cool Air Intake.

2009 Chevrolet Traverse

1969 Mach1 Mustang 351W. Too much to list.

better yet, go here:

Coops and Runs - All - Backyard Chickens - Message Board - Yuku

Its' all about raising chickens.
    Lyons, Texas
    Massey-Ferguson 135
    BCS 710GX
    Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot either.