What to do with fallen trees.

/ What to do with fallen trees. #1  

Jeff244

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 65C
I've got about 30 oak trees that have fallen since last winter. They range in size from about 14" diameter to over 20". Does anyone have experience selling firewood or selling to a sawmill? Although I don't have much experience, I'm sure I could cut and split the wood if there is more money in it than selling to a sawmill. I realize that if I sell it as firewood I will have to wait for it to season before I sell it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

/ What to do with fallen trees. #2  
I don't know about your area, but here in New England they sell green firewood all the time.

One can buy it in log length, cut 4 feet round, cut to size and split. You name it they sell it. Naturally they also sell seasoned firewood and the price reflects that.

Green oak full cord, cut and split will sell for around $225.00. Seasoned wood will sell for $300 a cord and up. Darn expensive.

I purchased two grapple loads of wood that should be close to 7 or 8 cords and it was $700 a load. Cheapest price I could find.

Wayne

/ What to do with fallen trees. #3  
I don't know about your area, but here in New England they sell green firewood all the time.

Wayne

Good Evenin Jeff,
Wayne has it right, over this way they sell firewood green uncut in log length or split and still green or split and seasoned priced accordingly !

Of course being me I never pay ! ;)

So in answer to your question here is where it would go if you were closer to me ! :)

BTW this is a live shot ! :)

Attachments

• Firebox.jpg
    Firebox.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 258
   / What to do with fallen trees. #4  
Sounds like a good reason to buy a wood stove or you could always try selling the logs as they are on craigslist.

/ What to do with fallen trees. #5  
Before all this financial and energy turmoil, oak stems were worth way more as logs than firewood. My local mill has stopped taking in logs a there is no market any more. With the price of firewood escalating, I'd be prone to develop it as such as long as your expenditure is not large such as having to buy a splitter or delivery truck. You should finish up with 12-15 cords of wood depending on how massive the tops are and the height of the trees of course. You may approach 20 with big tops. Its a shame because at one point, these trees would have brought big money as decorative lumber. My mill would sell a planed 12"x10' mantle piece for $500 a few years ago.

/ What to do with fallen trees. #6  
Its a shame because at one point, these trees would have brought big money as decorative lumber. My mill would sell a planed 12"x10' mantle piece for $500 a few years ago.

Good Evenin Arrow,
I was runnin my splitter today and came across some beautiful oak that had some beautiful wavy grain inside and it just absolutely killed me to be turnin this stuff into cordwood ! It could have made some beautiful furniture had I known what kind of figure was inside ! :(

/ What to do with fallen trees. #7  
Scott
I find that the joys of country living often come in fleeting moments. The good side is that my brain now acts as a camera. My eyes are the lense (I guess literally) and my brain is the sim card. Things come and go all too quickly out here not to learn to take it all in a moments notice whether it is an eagle at the top of a tree or the swirls of grain in a round that you would have never seen if you hadn't split that piece. In a way, it still becomes a mantle piece only this one is just above your heart. :)

/ What to do with fallen trees. #8  
with the current energy prices ive seen a defiant increase in fire wood sales in my part of the world.

/ What to do with fallen trees. #9  
Good Evenin Jeff,
Wayne has it right, over this way they sell firewood green uncut in log length or split and still green or split and seasoned priced accordingly !

Of course being me I never pay ! ;)

So in answer to your question here is where it would go if you were closer to me ! :)

BTW this is a live shot ! :)

I normally don't buy wood either scotty, but age being what it is I thought I should go ahead and get a few years wood ahead and decided to buy a couple grapple loads. Nothing like cutting up and splitting multiple cords of wood to get the heart beat up a bit!

/ What to do with fallen trees. #10  
Scott
Things come and go all too quickly out here not to learn to take it all in a moments notice whether it is an eagle at the top of a tree or the swirls of grain in a round that you would have never seen if you hadn't split that piece. In a way, it still becomes a mantle piece only this one is just above your heart. :)

Good Mornin Arrow,
So very well said !!! Enjoy the beauty of any particular moment right there and then ! Thankyou for putting it into words ! :) BTW my oldest boy graduated from URI a few years ago, so both Kathleen and I are familiar with the Kingston and surrounding area ! One of my favorites was Narragansett ! ;)

Good Mornin Wayne,
I think your smart stockpiling some log length wood, heck it can only go one way ! ;)