Deer scrapes on trees How do I treat

/ Deer scrapes on trees How do I treat #1  

DANOCHEESE

Gold Member
Well I took precautions to the trees that I thought would get deer damage. Well this buck decided that the trees next to the house were still fair game. He has scraped 8 of the smaller maples. Can I put some kind of tar on them to help?

Also this deer will be put in the freezer Saturday AM. Opening of deer season. I could be the next Bill Muray in caddy schack. I counted 11 points last night and the dogs just look at him like he is an old friend. Ok so they are bird dogs can't they at least chase him or maybe they are trying to convince the deer that he won't be shot and to hang around.

/ Deer scrapes on trees How do I treat #2  
My suggestion was going to be treat with a bow and arrow, but you already have it under control.

From what I understand, they no longer suggest using that tar stuff to close tree wounds, apparently they just scar over themselves. Others may have different information but that is what I have heard most recently.

/ Deer scrapes on trees How do I treat #3  
I heard the nite before opener all the bucks go out deep in the woods and toast to each on their on their latest tails and then pass out in an impassable thicket and sleep for 3 days, nose in tale.

/ Deer scrapes on trees How do I treat #4  
I heard the nite before opener all the bucks go out deep in the woods and toast to each on their on their latest tails and then pass out in an impassable thicket and sleep for 3 days, nose in tale.

I believe that, seems to happy every year. I am still hoping to get one yet during bow season.

/ Deer scrapes on trees How do I treat #5  
I asked my buddy the arborist about the coatings last month when he was doing some tree work for me and he said it was old school, that trees had been around longer then we had been cutting on them and the tars' etc. just made more problems then they fixed.

/ Deer scrapes on trees How do I treat
What is commical is that I was going about ten miles away to hunt. I had not seen too much sign and the corn is pretty thick aorund the house.

Now I will just stroll out to the scaffolding and sit on a bail of straw and pop a nice ten pointer, back to the hosue by 7:30 then prepare to watch the packers beat the vikings on sunday.

What a great life I lead.

/ Deer scrapes on trees How do I treat #7  
I'm a retired arborist and when you have the bark scraped off the tree, if it's not off more than 1/3 of the tree you can take a sharp knife and trim the edges so you have a smooth edge and hope the tree has enough strength to scab over the wound over the next several years.

Some times it works and some time it won't.