fences and t-post prices

/ fences and t-post prices #1  

hbarski

Bronze Member
Tractor
3930 Ford/Newholland Mitsubishi MT2001D CASE 580 CK
I have been putting off installing 1000 ft of fence on the road, and I guess I put it off too long. I bought 100 t-posts (6ft) a year ago for $2.79 each. To my amazement, they have gone up to about $5.00 each. I thought scrap steel prices had dropped off. What gives? Has woven wire gone up too? What are you guys paying?

/ fences and t-post prices #2  
I don't know current prices but I can tell you that the materials you're seeing now were made with steel at the higher prices. Wait a bit (a few months?) and the new, lower commodity prices will be reflected in the finished goods.

/ fences and t-post prices #3  
I priced 6' T posts last week at $4.75 down from $4.95. Cheapest I have seen in an ad lately is $3.99 but it would have been too long a drive to get them.

/ fences and t-post prices #4  
Do you have a TSC near you? They usually have the lowest prices on T-posts and fencing. I bought a bunch of T-post at TSC for about $3.75 each a few weeks ago. I find them to be the cheapest on woven wire fencing, as well.

/ fences and t-post prices
The TSC here is running $4.99. I priced them at the local co-op near my farm for $4.80. I am in a pickle and have to get the fence in before mid December. I know that just as soon as I do, the price will start to drop.

/ fences and t-post prices #7  
I have been putting off installing 1000 ft of fence on the road, and I guess I put it off too long. I bought 100 t-posts (6ft) a year ago for $2.79 each. To my amazement, they have gone up to about $5.00 each. I thought scrap steel prices had dropped off. What gives? Has woven wire gone up too? What are you guys paying?

Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear brighter before they speak......

Okay, this may apply to me, but here goes. . . :eek:

Why not double-space your posts now and then return later when the price goes down to add another post between existing ones? That would reduce your up front T-post cost by 1/2. On a new fence, you can get away with spacing of 20' or more. I guess it depends on what you are fencing for.

/ fences and t-post prices
I could try that. Right now, it is people that I am trying to keep out. That and getting it in while everything has died down.

I have another 6000 ft of fence that has to be worked, but for that I am going to wait and watch steel prices. I was surprised though that the woven wire price is about where it was last year. I wonder why that did not increase like the t-posts.

Jinman, I have always admired your suggestions and insights. The speed of light doesn't apply there...LOL

/ fences and t-post prices #9  
I'd think twice about spacing the T-posts 20 feet apart. I don't know what type oflivestock you have, but I can tell you with sheep or goats, if you're using wovenwire fencing, they'll just lift it up and crawl underneath it, when the T-posts are that far apart. You can't get it tight enough like that. At least in my experience. I never space them any farther than 8 feet apart.

/ fences and t-post prices #10  
Are there any vineyards in your area? I buy 8" T-posts from a local wine grower for $1 a piece - used but in good condition. He has hundreds of them.