Panic at the Olive Mill in Provence Fran ce

/ Panic at the Olive Mill in Provence Fran ce #1  

rox

Veteran Member
Grrrr what a time we are having this year. First off as I posted in the Related Topics Forum a while back our life has not been going that great lately. Regardless of that mess, the olive trees are ready to be picked and we have to focus on that. It is a great year for olives, everybody has olives, the trees are heavy and it is going to be the best harvest since 1991, at least that is what the mill tells me. I knew it was going to be a good harvest because a lot of people farm bare, meaning they don't irrigate. The last two years bare farming produced jsut that, nothing. However this eyar the rains fell just right so I knew it would be a bountiful harvest.

Now the problem is the mills can't keep up! In order to produce the high premium olive oil you need to press the olives within one day or if it is really cool to cold 2 days. One day is better though. The first 3 weeks of picking were fine, it rained and so nobody picked except my silly husband and myself outside picking in our raincoats. We took our olives tot he mill and they were pressed that night. We always pick by variatal, first we pick the Salonenque olives then the Grossane, then the Bouteillan and finish with the Aglandau. My husband and I picked by ourselves with my father helping the last 2 days all our Salonenque. Can we say the Salonenque is a tough row to hoe? These are the trees that grow on our most narrow terraces and it requires a lot of extra netting plus jsut going up and down the steep hillsides etx. Well anyway we got it done which is about 20% of our crop, all by ourselves.

Now comes great weather and everybody is out picking like mad. Last week we had over froneds of ours who work for free, jsut to help us. It is great one friend is our main cook and the other wife is a cooks helper. Two men plus myself my husband and my father and we are shaking the olives off the tree like nobody's business. Scheduled to sttart jsut this last Satrurday was 2 nephews and a niece, they all took vacation time to work on the harvest. The young people we pay the friends are so gracious they jsut work for some olive oil. As soon as the weather turned great the mill told us to stop picking and not bring any more olives until Saturday. Boy my husband was ticked off, me too, but we stopped for a day and a half.

Satruday I go to the mill with the first of 4 loads and guess what? The mill is still loaded in olives, they were jsut as full as before. So now I'm really ticked off! We had free labor good weather nice flat fields with long lines of trees to pick, we stopped picking yet when we get to t he mill they obviously still accepted olives from others. I was there about 9:30am with our load and the father and daughter (she runs the mill) were talking and they decided to close down the mill for 2 days and not take olvies from anybody. They needed to press the backlog. Then they tell us not to bring any more olives until Thursday fo this week. The pickers they hired for thier 6,000 trees were in fact prunning the grape vnes and not picking thier olives either.

Geesh I sure didn't want to brinh that bad news home to my husband, we were stopped the previous week for a day and a half and now I had to go tell him to stop the 2 nephews from shaking we couln't bring any more olives to the mill until Thursday that the Mill was shut down from accepting olives until Monday afternoon and the mill told all the major producers to wait until Thursday.

It isn't as if we were not under a lot of stress wtiht eh US financial situation now our harvest is going bust. What would end up is that all our help excpet for one nephew who will work longer ,has this week to pick (plus our friends who who were here since Wed the previous week they were giving us 10 days) so when we finally could pick olives all our help would be gone and my hsuband and I would have to do it by ourselves. Then we have to worry about us not being able to work fast enough and the olives over maturing.

The panic at the mill mad a big panic on our farm. Some how between that first load at 9:30 on Saturday morning and the last load that my husband took the owners decided that we could start pickign on Monday and bring in our olives on Tuesday afternoon. Talk about preferential treatment!!! Woo Hooo!!! This mill has always treated us really right. They have us I think as their number one client. Every day when I bring in the first load of the day I go look for our oil from yesterday and verify that it got pressed. On Saturday ont he last load the mill manager told my hsuband, "Tell Roxanne that th eolvies you brought in today will be pressed today" I'm smiling like a cheshire cat. All those pallet boxes of olives they got backed up yet they put ours to the front of the line.

I think there is 2 reasons for this. I think the number one reason is that we have won so many numerous awards with our oil. They know that we absolutly want and need our olives to be pressed right away because we enter our oil in a lot of competitions and win I might add :) We get a pretty good amount of press and I always have the reports mention the name of our mill in the newspaper articles and I know for certain the the mill owners see that. Plus our national olive growers association send out e-mails with competition results and I know they get those. Being selected as the best Oil in France in 2008 in the biggest International Olvie Oil competition puts some extra bargaining power in our hands.

So we wnet from a Saturday morning disaster to a victory. We still lost half a day Saturday and all day Sunday picking but as I write this a full crew is out there picking Monday morning we will take them to the mill Tuesday and they will be pressed Tuesday. We had a little setback but it looks like we will be okay.

Because they closed the mill on Saturday I was able to take some pictures. I think I'll do seperate posts with the pictures so I can explain them a bit. Oh one more thing. Those Salonenque olives my husband and I picked first, in five years we have never had such a delicious Salonenque Olive Oil. It is our best Salonenque ever. We are now picking the Grossane and it also is very very good. All the Grossane should be picked by tomorrow night I hope.

/ Panic at the Olive Mill in Provence Fran ce
Pic #1 is our Mercury Mountaineer loaded with crates of olives. We dump our olives into the pallet boxes you can see in the photos.
Pics #2 & 3 are showing pallet boxes full of olives as they sit outside wating to be pressed

I would like you to nice the absolutly clear blue sky shown in the first pic. You can see that it was a perfect day to pick olives.
We have a beautiful day and they say, "Stop pickign olives!" Sheesh...

Attachments

• OurLoad.JPG
    OurLoad.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 248
  • PalletBoxesFull1.JPG
    PalletBoxesFull1.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 161
  • PalletBoxesFull2.JPG
    PalletBoxesFull2.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Nest pics are inside the mill pics. First the pallet boxes are dumped on a conveyor, a vaccuum sucks up the leaves and blowes them outside to a trailor (pic on that to follow) they get spay washed to get the field dust off, then crushed beween to big grinding plates (pitts and all) then the pate of ground up olives is kneeded in a maloxer. Then the pulp is squeezed with the pulp being extracted and pumped outside (pics of that in next post) and the juice piped into a centrifuge. The cnetrifudge spins and seperates the oil from the water.

Notice a couple things in these pictures. Number one is how clean our mill is! That is really important. They need to clean out the grinding plates and equipment or rotten olive paste build up and ruins the flovor of the oil. Whne the mills are swamped it is very easy to jsut keep on pressing and pressing and pressing and let the cleaning go. I like this mill becuase it is very very clean and you don't find a lot of them this clean.

Attachments

• InsideDumpingOlives.JPG
    InsideDumpingOlives.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 185
  • InsideMaloxer.JPG
    InsideMaloxer.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 151
  • InsideCentrifuge.JPG
    InsideCentrifuge.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 137
  • InsideMill1.JPG
    InsideMill1.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 171
These next pics are some of the machinary, including tractors!, that are used int he mill operation. All the ground up paste is pumped into spreaders and spread back into the fields as compost.

You can see some big plastic storage tanks that are customer tanks and they jsut open up the window and stick the hose outside into the tanks :)
Space is at a premium inside the mill.

One trailor holds the leaves that are blown out and the other trailor holds the paste. The massey ferguson is shown hooked up to the trailors. The last pic is of a Massey Ferguson parked by the vines with it's load of olive compost .

Attachments

• MassyFerguson.JPG
    MassyFerguson.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 141
  • OutsideLeafCatching.JPG
    OutsideLeafCatching.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 124
  • MassyFergusonByVines.JPG
    MassyFergusonByVines.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 129
Maybe you can only attach 3 pics or something, so I'll add the pic from the outside equipment here, this pics shows the paste being sent to the trailor for spreading. Then there is a blurry pic of my dad and the mill manager, she is a young woman in her early 30's quite beautiful and a very very good manager.

Finally a pic of my 84 yar old father who flys over for the harvest to help. We bottle most of our oil at the mill but take a lot of it home in these plastic barrels. We have big 300 liter stainless stell tanks in our basement and we use these plastic tanks my dad is washing to transport and when we need to we also use them for storage. These tanks are a bear to clean, ther is jsut one 3 inch hole to work through and olive oil really is hard to clean. I rigged up a crutch with a washcloth wired to the end of the crutch that my dad uses to clean our transport tanks. We use a special cleaner which we get form the mill which cuts the olive oil and is also approved as food grade. Everything we do here we have to be very careful to use only food grade tanks and products etc. l

To use the approved detergent it has to be mixed with boiling waer so my dad keeps big pots of boiling water goin ont he stove and every day cleans these tanks for us. He got here November 5th and he is almost done. It is quite a lot of work and time to clean one of these tanks. First he takes it to a back shower stall and rinses with hot water and shakes the tanks. Then goes in the hot boiling water the detergent and more shaking and scrubbing with the crutch (the crutch idea works great because it has a handle so you can control the scrubbing better) then another hot rinse, if not clean more boiling water, then another hot rinse, then a cold rinse. I think my dad will be done with about 30 of these transport tanks tomorro or the next day. It is a real horrible job to do and my husband and I are grateful my dad jsut comes over and does this for us. When he is not scrubbing tanks he pickes out the larger branches from the olvie and also pulls nails out of the nets. My dad is 84 and he works all day and most importantly he wants to work all day. he is happiest when he is working and is very un happy if he doesn't ahve anything to dol.

Attachments

• OutsidePasteLoading.JPG
    OutsidePasteLoading.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 105
  • DadChristine.JPG
    DadChristine.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 169
  • DadWashingTanks.JPG
    DadWashingTanks.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 179
These are pictures of the saturday lunch, I was hauling olives so they started without me, I got there in time for desert which was a home made custard. Our main cook is the woman at the table serving and our cooks helper is shown in a pic by herself. They did save my meal for me and it was so good. Belgium endive wrapped with ham in a betcheml (like a white sauce with cheese) sauce with potatoes and another hot food I cna't remember plus cheese and desert. Everybody here is always very interested in their food and has opinions of what is the best way to cook this or that. Trust me the French don't work very well if they are not well feed with good home made food.

I got a few minutes this morning where I am ahead of the game becaue of not working on Saturday anfternoon or Sunday so I could post this for ya'all. Normally I don't have time to take pictures of the mill etc.

I hope the rest of our oil turns out as good as what we picked so far. I also know with all the mills being backed up (I went to another mill to see if they had any capapcity and they were also a mod scene) that there is going to be only a few producers who get prefererentail treatment and get their olives pressed right away who are going to have the top oils. We hope again this year we are one of those.

Attachments

• Lunch1.JPG
    Lunch1.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Lunch2.JPG
    Lunch2.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Lunch3.JPG
    Lunch3.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Lunch4.JPG
    Lunch4.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 168
   / Panic at the Olive Mill in Provence Fran ce #8  
Nice pics! Glad to see that you have so much help--and from the family too! Nice.

/ Panic at the Olive Mill in Provence Fran ce #9  
My dad is 84 and he works all day and most importantly he wants to work all day. he is happiest when he is working and is very un happy if he doesn't ahve anything to dol.

Amen! Nice pics.
Bob

/ Panic at the Olive Mill in Provence Fran ce #10  
Rox,

You need to set up one of those adventure/working vacations for tourist during picking season. You know, pay a lot of money for the experience of picking olives in France. Fine wine, local cuisine, cooking classes of regional dishes, tours of the area, tour the pressing mill and you go home with a case of olive oil you helped pick. That type of thing is very popular in some circles.

MarkV