Best Home Defense Rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Best Home Defense Rifle? #1  

DennisArrow

Platinum Member
Tractor
Iseki TL 2300, Kubota RTV, Kubota B7610
Saying nothing about the political/economic situation, I am wondering about which type of rifle to look for to use as a "home/property defense weapon"?

I live in NW Georgia at the perimeter of a national forest. My property is situated on a hilltop with forest pretty much all around it. We raise registered Boer goats on 10 acres of pasture that is 2 acres of open grass and the rest mixed forest with grass spots. We are fairly isolated with farms and 5 to 10 acre homes in the surrounding miles.

Predators, both human and 4 legged are both to be guarded against. With "hard times" seemingly in the cards I wonder what would be the best home defense weapon to have available?

Currently, we have a Remington 12 ga pump, a scoped semi 22, and a SW snub nose 38. The 22 is great for getting the tree rats but has little stopping power. The shotgun won't reach out as they head out through the woods or down/up the drive.

It would seem that a larger caliber rifle is needed. My military service made me very familiar with the M14 and 16. I favor the idea of having a lot of rounds at a rapid rate on hand. I find the cost of the M14 prohibitive. A bolt action may be to slow..............

Ideas?.............thanks..........God bless OUR country..........Dennis

/ Best Home Defense Rifle? #2  
I have a SMLE No4 Mk1 handy with a full clip next to it. I would also consider surplus Mauser, you can't go wrong with that one if it is in good shape. Ammo is cheaper than dirt and it was built for the very same purpose you need.

But I am different than most of the people;), I am sure you will get a better suggestion.

/ Best Home Defense Rifle? #4  
Don't sell the 12 ga. short. Most home defense situations are short range shots (even agains the 4 legged kind). and the 12 ga. with 00 buck is good to at least 50 yds. If you still feel the need for a rifle, I second the Ruger mini 14... get the rancher stainless/synthetic in .223 caliber... fun to shoot and practice with, and low maintenance.

/ Best Home Defense Rifle? #6  
You can't beat a good old AK47 for home defense and good old shooting fun. I have a Norinco MAK90. Fun to shoot, accurate enough and ammo is somewhat reasonable
Bake

/ Best Home Defense Rifle? #7  
I would go with the AR15 if your familiar with the M16 it will be a perfect match to you, if you want to go cheap I know a few years ago I could get an asian made SKS for around $200.

/ Best Home Defense Rifle? #8  
Here's another vote for your 12 guage.

The Bushmaster AR15 M4 is awful sweet...check out budsguns.com

Bad URL. Should be budsgunshop.com.

BTW, you have to sign up for an account with them to get a price. Not the kind of place I will do business with. :mad:

/ Best Home Defense Rifle? #9  
If you can afford it go with the M-14. AR's will be less pricey generally.

The Mini-14 is a good choice too. The action is based on the M-14.

CETME or G3 is another affordable .30 caliber rifle that is worth considering.

/ Best Home Defense Rifle? #10  
I was going to suggest for a low cost and pretty reliable weapon an SKS.

It's funny that when I was in high school, the sporting goods store in town sold them for $69.95. Even about 5 years ago, a large outdoors store near here sold them for $100 (it was a special sale, but they had lots of them).

I bought one (chinese) about two years ago at a pawn shop for $150. I was in a store yesterday and the two that they had in stock were about $250. They both look better than mine, but very similar (one norinco, one Yugo).

Now if low cost is not too much of a factor, then I like the AK or AR suggestion. I would think the AK would be cheaper, but I haven't priced one lately. The AR-types that I have looked at run from $600 for well used for as much as you can pay.

I also like the Mini-14. Again, I've seen some pretty nice ones (used) for as low as $400, and I think a brand new one can be had for $650 or $700 (but that's getting pretty pricey to me). If you're looking for .223, a Saiga usually runs about $300 to $400.

Now I understand that in some recent days prices may have changed dramatically, so I may be outdated already.

Good luck and take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.