Do you load your wood burner up before leaving the house?

/ Do you load your wood burner up before leaving the house? #1  

bhostasa

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2015 HST
I put in a wood burning furnace add-on last winter. I usually get home around 4:30 and if the fire isn't going it takes a good 2-3 hours before the house gets warmed up.

I could load it up and keep it pretty warm until I get home but am always hesitant to do so. What do you guys do?

/ Do you load your wood burner up before leaving the house? #2  
I just got a wood burning stove and I am hesitant too.
I guess it's just an old habit or fear of something that COULD go wrong. But I've ready several threads where guys do it all the time. I even was worried about loading the stove up through the night.
But the way they are designed and seal up, I'm sure it's OK and safe to do.
Just getting old and paranoid myself.:)

/ Do you load your wood burner up before leaving the house? #3  
my uncle who heats with wood does.

He has a large Vermont castings stove in the middle of the house... We would fill it both before we went to bed and also mid morning for a burn throughout the day while we were out in the shop or outside etc.

Been doing it for 20+ years and never an issue in that time.

/ Do you load your wood burner up before leaving the house? #4  
We(my parents,then myself) burned wood exclusively for close to 40 years, Only issue we ever had was a cheap stove I put in ,had a cheap , thin door with the latch in the middle. One night,I stoked it up and fell asleep on the couch.Woke up to a very bright orange glow. A piece of wood fell down against the door and must have broke the seal. (Door opened at bottom)That stove was cherry red ,and gettin outta control. :eek: Went out the door within a month! Keep your chimney clean,burn only well seasoned wood,and inspect the stove/chimney each season for cracks. (Also...Dont leave a stove unattended unless you damper it down first. )

/ Do you load your wood burner up before leaving the house? #5  
i will say there were a couple of run away stove incidents in which the damper was forgot to been thrown.... but with the vermot castings stove that just ment they heated the house up to about 85 and burnt through a bunch of fire wood...

my uncle usually cleans the chimney in the fall, and once again during a warmish day in jan-feb. In his younger years he would burn upward of about 10 chord a season. these days its down to bout half that after he has had his NG furnace replaced a few years ago.

/ Do you load your wood burner up before leaving the house? #6  
Wood stoves around here will run around the clock until April. Make sure they are in good working order and the flue has been cleaned.
Burn decent wood that is properly dried.

/ Do you load your wood burner up before leaving the house? #7  
We just had a wood burning stove installed last month. It has burned non-stop since. I load it up at night and get it going real good, then shut the air control almost all the way down. It will go about 7-8 hours and still have red hot coals. All I do then is open the air control fully, load it up again and close the door. It bursts into flames within a couple minutes. I let if go for 5-10 min and shut the air control down again for another 7-8 hour burn and go to work. I think is is important to get real familiar with the stove. Our air control should not be left fully open for more than 30 minutes at start up. And, it cannot be fully closed. There is always a small draft. It takes a couple hours to heat up the bricks and stove walls, but once it is going, it heats the floor slab in front of it. I watch my chimney pipe temp, too. If I cannot put my hand on it for more than a second, I shut down the air control. If I can keep my hand on the pipe for 5-6 seconds, I open it a tad. I may get one of those thermometers that stick to the pipe.

I was kind of hesitant about leaving it on while away, too. But I lock my cats out of the room where the stove is all the time. even when home. Cats are stupid and like to knock things over. I could just see the cat sliding an area rug all the way across the room and into the stove! Stupid cats (but I love them anyway :p).

Just be sure to keep the area around the stove clear, make sure it was installed correctly, clean your chimney as directed and burn good, dry wood. You should be fine. :)

/ Do you load your wood burner up before leaving the house? #8  
Oh yeah... be sure to check the batteries in your smoke AND carbon monoxide detectors. We have smoke detectors in every bedroom and a carbon monoxide/smoke detector in the hallway where the heat from the stove comes up from the basement. Also a smoke detector in the basement near, but not too near, the stove. The first few days we used the stove, the paint cured and set off the detectors in the house several times. That was a fun night! :eek::eek::eek:

:)

/ Do you load your wood burner up before leaving the house? #9  
Yes, I have a Fisher airtight stove, never had a problem leaving it going while away. I do have a temp gauge on the pipe to make sure it's not too hot after I load it and close down the damper.

M.D.

/ Do you load your wood burner up before leaving the house? #10  
I put in a wood burning furnace add-on last winter. I usually get home around 4:30 and if the fire isn't going it takes a good 2-3 hours before the house gets warmed up.

I could load it up and keep it pretty warm until I get home but am always hesitant to do so. What do you guys do?

Good Evenin bhostasa,
I have been loading up my wood stove since I have owned my first home, thats 1978 for those that are interested ! :rolleyes:

If the stove is installed properly, the chimney is clean, and there are no combustibles within close proximity of the stove, there shouldnt be a problem !

I have smoke detectors in the basement, where the stove is located. I have detectors on the first and second floor also. The worst thing I have had happen is a chimney fire, and that really wasn t that bad, and it got the chimney cleaned out ! ;) I always clean the flue in the fall, and only burn seasoned wood !

Not to appear sarcastic, but if your that worried about it you shouldnt be running a wood stove IMHO ! ;)