Laser Grips for home defense

/ Laser Grips for home defense #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I am looking at several handguns for home defense. I work a night shift and leave home at 5pm, drive forty miles, work a thirteen hour shift, and return home about 8am the next morning. So I am looking at a simple double action revolver to keep in the house for my wife. She said she didn't want one but has finally seen the wisdom and even agreed to get her CCP (concealed carry permit). I don't want an exotic high powered weapon but a simple point and shoot reliable as an anvil tool. Now for the questions.

1. Is the $100 extra for a Smith & Wesson over a Taurus worth it?

2. If I get the Smith, which I favor at this time, should I get the Laser grips for another $200?

Some extra info. My wife had a type of laser surgery a few years ago in which the doctor 'hot-lasered' the center of vision in her right eye. This was done to save her vision in that eye. So she can see with that eye but has no center of vision sight. Being right handed that eye is the one that she would aim with. So she could not see the sights. Granted that most home defense confrontations take place at ranges and speeds that preclude aiming would the laser be that much better?

The prices are $330 for the Taurus stub hammer 38 special, $430 for the Smith, $630 for the Smith with LazerGrips.

Now for the second group of questions. I am also looking at the Kel-Tec 380 or 32 pocket pistols. Is the increased power of the 380 worth the added recoil over the 32? Or should I look at the little Beretta/Taurus 22 or 25 for an easily concealed carry weapon?

Thanks for your input.

/ Laser Grips for home defense #2  
I am looking at several handguns for home defense. I work a night shift and leave home at 5pm, drive forty miles, work a thirteen hour shift, and return home about 8am the next morning. So I am looking at a simple double action revolver to keep in the house for my wife. She said she didn't want one but has finally seen the wisdom and even agreed to get her CCP (concealed carry permit). I don't want an exotic high powered weapon but a simple point and shoot reliable as an anvil tool. Now for the questions.

2. If I get the Smith, which I favor at this time, should I get the Laser grips for another $200?

Some extra info. My wife had a type of laser surgery a few years ago in which the doctor 'hot-lasered' the center of vision in her right eye. This was done to save her vision in that eye. So she can see with that eye but has no center of vision sight. Being right handed that eye is the one that she would aim with. So she could not see the sights. Granted that most home defense confrontations take place at ranges and speeds that preclude aiming would the laser be that much better?

The prices are $330 for the Taurus stub hammer 38 special, $430 for the Smith, $630 for the Smith with LazerGrips.

Now for the second group of questions. I am also looking at the Kel-Tec 380 or 32 pocket pistols. Is the increased power of the 380 worth the added recoil over the 32? Or should I look at the little Beretta/Taurus 22 or 25 for an easily concealed carry weapon?

Thanks for your input.
I have a stainless ruger SP101 6 shot revolver in 32 H&R mag with crimson trace laser sight for the wife to use when I am away.Not alot of recoil and easy to shoot.coobie

/ Laser Grips for home defense #3  
Not what you asked, but for what you would describe a 20 gauge Mossberg Bantam shotgun is what I would have and suggest. For true, in the house defense, that would be the most effective weapon in my opinion.

It takes a lot of rounds firing through a pistol for a person to be proficient with it, and that is discounting the stress side of when you would really need it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

/ Laser Grips for home defense #4  

Some extra info. My wife had a type of laser surgery a few years ago in which the doctor 'hot-lasered' the center of vision in her right eye. This was done to save her vision in that eye. So she can see with that eye but has no center of vision sight. Being right handed that eye is the one that she would aim with. So she could not see the sights.
Any chance the vision issue might disqualify her from getting a (concealed carry permit)?

L . B .

/ Laser Grips for home defense #5  

Thanks for your input.

I put a Crimson Trace laser grip on my S&W 638 (a 5 shot snub-nose) just last week and I am impressed. I can't say enough good things about them. Even my wife - who is not a gun person and had never before fired a 38 - shot a 6 inch group at 50'. Not bad for a 2 inch barrel. I believe the laser sights are the single greatest advancement in handguns in my lifetime - I just can't believe it took me so long to snap to them.

As for the vision thing - I'm at the age where I can see the sights with my reading glasses or the target, but not both well. The laser solves that problem. Forget the sights - there is going to be a hole reasonably close to where the red dot was.

With that said, I second the suggestion that a 12 ga shotgun is a much better home defense weapon. If your wife is afraid of the shotgun like mine is, I think a double-action only 9mm automatic is a better weapon for a lady. Negligible recoil and lots of firepower. Again, IMHO, the laser is a must.

Since I opened myself up and stated an opinion I might as well go for broke and comment on the other calibers you mentioned. IMHO, anything less than a 9mm is a waste of time for personal protection. Even the 9 mm is marginal but generally compensates for the lack of stopping power with lots of ammunition. I realize though that sometimes we have to compromise for reasons of concealment or (in the case of the ladies) recoil, but I find my J frame Smith with plus P's is easily concealable in a pants pocket and light enough that it isn't a burden.

And one other thing - what Eddie said in another thread about your life changing forever after a gunfight is absolutely correct. Those who say otherwise haven't been there or done that. <G> Do your wife a favor and get her some professional training and have a good discussion of her personal rules of engagement.

Best,

John

/ Laser Grips for home defense #6  
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but any light attached to your gun or even you is going to accentuate you as a target. I don't know if I want to identify my presence with a light source. But then, if your light is pointed in the correct direction, there's probably no greater fear than to see yourself painted with a laser light on your chest.

I'm not a big fan of hand guns in a house simply because any miss of your intended target is going to end up some where several walls away unless you buy some pretty special ammo that's designed to disintegrate on impact. Glaser Safety used to build such ammo, but I'm not sure if they are still around. In essence, the bullet was formed by a pressing of lead particles and not by molten casting. It would hold together until impact, then come apart since it was only pressed tightly to begin with.

A shotgun, to me, is still the best close range, indoor self defense gun there is. sawn off barrel and stock, they are highly effective with only light loads at close range. My wife enjoys the Terminator look as well!! Ha! Lever action shotgun with grip stock and short barrel is pretty intimidating too, even if a woman is holding it. Just looking at the barrel size pointed at your head is enough to usually let your sphincter release...

/ Laser Grips for home defense
Thanks for your replies.

My wife has fairly good vision in her left eye. It is just the center of vision in her right that is gone. If she stares straight at your face from five feet away she can see your eyes and mouth but not your nose. She has just finished editing a very large book with no problem and has no problems using any tools UNLESS it requires precise depth perception at less than three feet.

I understand what all are saying about the shotguns, but, in the situation I am in that would not be a good solution. With small children sometimes in the house a loaded shotgun placed where it would ALWAYS be handy is not practical. It would need to be in a closet and that would not allow it to be as easily accessable as I want. A handgun where this one will be kept is instantly at hand even while in bed.

Have talked to several who have been 'there', and though most carry an auto for protection they have a revolver in the nightstand next to the bed. This is an application of the KISS principal (Keep It Simple Stupid). A non gun using woman waking up in the middle of the night to the sound of breaking glass needs something she can lay her hands on and use in a hurry. She does not need to worry with chambering a round or taking the safety off. She does not need a jam after the first shot because the gun was against a quilt when she pulled the trigger (heard of a case where this happened). Just point and keep pulling the trigger until it is empty. Thus a double action revolver.

I once worked with a two tour Vietnam vet who spent most of the second tour running LRRP patrols to check out B52 strikes. He had been on his divisional shooting team using the 45 Auto. And he had used the 45 for its intended purpose several times. But when on base he slept with a revolver under the pillow. He still does.

My wife and I have already talked strategy in case of a break in and it is different now that the kids are married and gone. If there is a break in and I am not home she will retrieve the weapon, lock the bedroom door, and call the police. The weapon will be used ONLY in a last ditch, self protection, last chance, I'm going to die if I don't do something event.

When the kids were here she or I either one would have attacked an intruder with our bare hands if necessary. At that time I had a 22 H&R revolver with nine short hollow points loaded. The reason for the 22 shorts was a brother in law cleaning a 22 magnum that went off as he was clearing it. The bullet went thru the couch, two layers of sheetrock, a hollow wood closet door, thru the pillow on my nephews bed, and stopped in the headboard. Think about that when you use that 357 or 40 to protect your family and end up shooting thru a burglar and killing one of your own kids. A 22 or 25 may not 'knock them down', like a 44 magnum, but it will still get anybody's attention in a hurry. I figured if we hit them six or seven times out of nine shots with that 22 they would loose interest in anything but getting away.

Thanks to coobie for his suggestion of the 32 magnum. I had not considered that calibre. And thanks to airsafety for his comments on the crimson trace handgrips. That is what I wanted to hear.

I have been thinking about this for several weeks but when I went back and read my own post and questions it helped me decide what I needed. Later I called and ordered a Smith and Wesson 637 with the enclosed stub hammer and the Crimson Trace grips. The wife, she hates it when I call her that, will have a relatively powerful, easy to control and aim, utterly reliable weapon that will be there if and when she needs it. It can also slip in a purse or pocket if needed.

For my own use as a concealed carry weapon I am going with the simple cheap Kel-Tec double action only 380 automatic. It is small enough and light enough that I will carry it when I wouldn't carry a heavier weapon. If I ever had to use it I figure that it will be powerful enough to slow somebody down. I will never stand and engage in a gunfight anyway unless one of my loved ones is in danger. So as far as accuracy is concerned if my wife, child, or grandchild is in danger I will be moving toward the danger trying to get between them and their attacker. Thus closing the range will provide hits. If it is just me I don't imagine I will hit anything anyway with the gun pointed over my shoulder as I am running away.

I am still interested on anybody elses input on this subject so keep the comments coming.

RSKY

/ Laser Grips for home defense #8  
Ive always heard that a .22 or .25 were almost more fatal than larger rounds. They dont have the "stoping power" but they usually dont through and through like the larger rounds do. So they pinball more inside and or fragment better.

Many of the home defense responses are "loud bang is good enough to scare the guy off" in which case a .22 will do that.

I dont care how many rounds you fire at the target, its how many hit that matters. Id rather put 2 or 3 of my 6 .22 rounds in a target than miss all my 10mm/.40 rounds because of recoil issues.

between a hand gun and a the shotgun... ill take the 20guage semi auto.

/ Laser Grips for home defense #9  
RSKY, I disagree wholeheartedly with your thoughts on children around handguns vs. shotguns, and would ask you to rethink that. Readilly available, is READILLY available.

I believe the odds of a child injuring themselves with a loaded pistol are far greater then the odds of injuring themselves or others with a loaded shotgun. Ours does not have a round chambered.

Either way though, ultimately it is yours and your wifes decision to make, and by asking here I am sure you are thinking deeply about it, and will make the best decision for your scenario.

Good luck whichever way you go.

/ Laser Grips for home defense #10  
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but any light attached to your gun or even you is going to accentuate you as a target. I don't know if I want to identify my presence with a light source. But then, if your light is pointed in the correct direction, there's probably no greater fear than to see yourself painted with a laser light on your chest.

I'm not a big fan of hand guns in a house simply because any miss of your intended target is going to end up some where several walls away unless you buy some pretty special ammo that's designed to disintegrate on impact. Glaser Safety used to build such ammo, but I'm not sure if they are still around. In essence, the bullet was formed by a pressing of lead particles and not by molten casting. It would hold together until impact, then come apart since it was only pressed tightly to begin with.

A shotgun, to me, is still the best close range, indoor self defense gun there is. sawn off barrel and stock, they are highly effective with only light loads at close range. My wife enjoys the Terminator look as well!! Ha! Lever action shotgun with grip stock and short barrel is pretty intimidating too, even if a woman is holding it. Just looking at the barrel size pointed at your head is enough to usually let your sphincter release...

That's about my take on the topic!!