Son got a deer this morning

/ Son got a deer this morning #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
Some background is probably in order.

I don't hunt, pulling a trigger on a living thing is something I would rather not do.

My best freind Jim is very much into hunting, and very much like an uncle to my kids. During Hunting season, my son, who loves hunting, spends more time with Jim than with me.

Jim is going to Kuwait for a couple years, leaves next month, so it will be the last time for a bit that the two of them will be able to hunt together.

They were supposed to spend the day hunting tomorrow, but Jim has an aircraft down that they need to get going so that got cancelled, so looked like Jim's last hunting day would be today.

Got the call last night, and I had one unhappy, teary eyed son that they would not get to go hunting. SWMBO and I talked about it a while and figured that a day hunting with Jim had to beat a day sitting in school. (well, don't bother telling the school) so Jim and Dean went hunting in the back yard this morning.

Got a call this morning that several deer came up on them, and they were on Jim's side of the double stand, but Jim let Dean shoot across, I think he wanted to see Dean get one more then he wanted one himself. Dean got ready and Jim readied as well as there were several. Dean took his shot and apparently dropped it in place, was all excited, then settled so Jim could take his shot and he also dropped his in place. I think Jim's probably locked from the fear. 2 shots, 2 happy hunters, one full freezer and a memory that will probably last two lifetimes (kind of sucks for the deer though)

Makes me really happy to have friends like I do.

I am guessing I will get pictures tomorrow.

/ Son got a deer this morning #2  
Congratulations to all. Can't beat the timing.

How old is your son?

/ Son got a deer this morning
He is 12

Marlin MR-7 with Leupold (bottom end) scope.

30-06 firing the managed recoil rounds.

/ Son got a deer this morning #4  
Alan,

Thanks for sharing. That is one great story. Is Jim in the military?

/ Son got a deer this morning #5  
Alan,

Congrats to your son!!! Nice to hear about a day well spent and the rewards of his efforts.

Thanks for sharing,
Eddie

/ Son got a deer this morning #6  
Also congrats to your son, a memory he will have for along time.

Being an avid hunter all my life, my hats off to you for allowing your son to have the experiance, even though your preference is not hunting. Also to your buddy for taking the time and allowing him to have a safe, succesfull hunt.

I personally feel he learned more about "life" (in the broad term) that morning than he would have at school for one day.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

/ Son got a deer this morning #7  
Alan, congrats.

Funny, last week I went up to Pa to visit my dad. My grandfather showed up at my house in N.C Monday morning at 0630 while I was getting ready to leave. He (grandfather) came over for muzzle loader. I joked with him to be sure not to get a deer because I was heading out of state with the truck and I wasn't sure how he would get the deer back to the house.

You have to realize, he's 85. Had to hike from the house over a couple of hills to get where he wanted to.

Left the house a 0730, called my wife when I was in Virgina at 0900 to see how she was doing, and she said fine for having to drag a deer across the creek and loading it into the trunk of her granfathers car (which she had to "four wheel" there in his (grandfathers) 87 Oldsmobile:D

Seems that our grandfather got a buck about 45 minutes after I left the house.

Ironic, your son got his first deer and will start a lifetime of memories, and our grandfather, after this experience, realizes that this will probably be his last time hunting (just to physically hard for him if he actually gets something).

They had a roll going yesterday, they went to the Preds game (Ice Hockey) and Dean got picked as one of the kids to go play on the ice at Intermission. Too cool. I have not heard those stories yet, they came in after I was asleep, and I left before they woke :)

Have not got the pics yet, will try and get them today.

Jim and I are both contractors working for the military. The saying for a while was Jim was the only guy willing to work with me, every other partner I had for a while quit after a day or two :) 18+ years ago when I moved back here, Jim was the guy holding the other end of the couch when I moved in.

Thanks Western, I strive to give my kids opportunities to learn and see different things, and different points of view. One thing my travels gave me is an understanding that many people in the world see things very differently than I, and there is many different ways to view things.

Got the pic.

Attachments

• ATT34523.jpg
    ATT34523.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 223
   / Son got a deer this morning #10  
Nice pic. Sounds like Jim is a great friend to you guys.