Generator feed back

/ Generator feed back #1  

Trainer

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson 220-4
Home Depot sells a Guardian 15000 Watt Portable Generator Model 04582 . Is this generator worth the $2,000 they want for it? In other words is it a good generator?

/ Generator feed back #2  
The Generac line of home generators are good. Watch HD and their contractors that install them. If you are going to install it yourself. Make sure it is done right. I purchased a Briggs & Stratton unit 3 years ago and very happy with unit and install. Our system is totally automatic switch over and runs on NG.
Last I heard B&S is now the owner of Generac. In my area of the country you can find the Generac line of home generators cheaper from a local business than at HD. They have qualified installers and proper supplies to install.

/ Generator feed back #3  
Home Depot sells a Guardian 15000 Watt Portable Generator Model 04582 . Is this generator worth the $2,000 they want for it? In other words is it a good generator?

You can google generac generators to compare price

/ Generator feed back #4  
if you need a portable unit (15k is oversized) if you want a permant installed standby generator than even 15k maybe overkill. I am a electrical contractor and install alot of standby's. 12k will take care of 90% of people (13k now they keep changing sizing on me) generacs web site has a load damand chart on it to find the size you need. also DO NOT let HD install it. Last week they couldn't spell electrician and this week they is one.
Call a local contractor. also Generac are the budget minded genny's then B&S then Kato light. I have a 13k generac at my home now and 100 Amp auto transfer switc hand for 2 years now (used once, for 2 hours).

/ Generator feed back #5  
MCS has some good advice. That is a lot of generator for your typical home. A 15KW generator is going to have a 30HP engine and requires a lot of fuel to run it for any length of time. If it is a natural gas powered unit, that probably won't be as big an issue. You might have trouble feeding a large gasoline powered unit if you have an extended power outage in your area. Most gas stations don't have generator power and can't pump gas. I heard of people driving 60 miles to get fuel in the sattle area during the big storme 2 years ago.

In the case of backup power, IMO, Less is more, particularly if you are having to haul the fuel for it. Pare down what you absolutely need to power to remain safe and relatively comfortable, and use the online charts to decide what size you actually need.

As for generac, I have worked with some, and they are OK. I have had issues with support from a contract installer, but found excellent support from a larger generac dealer. Probably the biggest trouble with these small size home units occurs after about the 96 hour point during their first real power outtage. Being an air cooled engine, they burn a little more oil than a water cooled engine. After about 4-4 1/2 days, they run low on oil and shut down. You need to be able to check things like this, as during a power failure, the tech support is stretched pretty thin... Onan also markets similar sized units, mostly Honda powered, and they perform pretty well also.

/ Generator feed back #6  
No kidding, 15k is huge. Only needed if you have a specific requirement like running a heater for the survival of your livestock. Keeping your milk cooler cold at a dairy or something.

Your home's refer, your lights, a well if you have it, can be run with a standard 5000 watt genset with smart technique and only use 0.5 gallons per hour of gasoline.

I don't have a well and have found that my 3000 watt genset is sufficient for all of my needs. The little and quiet genset makes 220 to feed through my transfer panel to any circuit I choose. Uses much less fuel and is quieter.

If I had a 15k genset I would run the hot tub, the water heater, bake a cake, etc. A total waste.

/ Generator feed back #7  
15K is basically a whole house generator, which is great if that is what you want. But, as someone else said, the problem is always having enough fresh fuel around to the keep the beast running for ever long your power is normally out. The quantity can add up in a hurry.

I have no experience with Generac but they seem to make OK generators from all accounts but again it depends how many hours you will be using it. If it was being used often, then I would probably look for something else because a generator is one of those things that when you need it, you need it to work.

Personally, I'm like Highbeam, I subscribe to the less is more philosophy. My 3800/5200 watt surge genny meets my needs but we don't lose power very often and usually not for too long. 3 days is the longest period we've been cut off and with a little management I can run 3 fridges, 2 freezers, lights, etc., for a week easily with the fuel I keep on hand. I even have a big honking inverter that I can hook up to the tractor or the truck and burn diesel if the outage is longer than that.

It all depends on your particular circumstances and what you want to achieve but generators seem to be one of those things that people tend to oversize or undersize. Getting it just right takes a little planning and common sense.

/ Generator feed back #8  
Last I heard B&S is now the owner of Generac. In my area of the country you can find the Generac line of home generators cheaper from a local business than at HD. They have qualified installers and proper supplies to install.

B&S purchased Generac Portables in 2001. That seems to be a different company than Generac Power Systems, which says it is a privately held company.

Generac Portable Products

Generac - About Us

/ Generator feed back #9  
if you need a portable unit (15k is oversized) hours).

. A 15KW generator is going to have a 30HP engine and requires a lot of fuel to run it for any length of time. If it is a natural gas powered unit, that probably won't be as big an issue. You might have trouble feeding a large gasoline powered unit if you have an extended power outage in your area. Most gas stations don't have generator power and can't pump gas. I heard of people driving 60 miles to get fuel in the sattle area during the big storme 2 years ago.

In the case of backup power, IMO, Less is more, particularly if you are having to haul the fuel for it. Pare down what you absolutely need to power to remain safe and relatively comfortable, and use the online charts to decide what size you actually need.

I think I could store enought in this .

It's also why I'd go with a diesel Gen.
The 3 drums hold 140 gallon plus I have 7 other 30 gallon drums and 2 or 3 extra 55 gallon drums.
With a rig like this keeping the gen supplied in a power outage wouldn't be a problem.

/ Generator feed back #10  
15K is a big generator, I have a 5500 watt portable Generac, and if I tell you just 1/2 of what I run off it, you won't believe me.