Getting a lawn started in December

/ Getting a lawn started in December #1  

tjkadar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 5609, Kubota GS1800, eXmark LazerZ XP
I doubt you could pick a worse time to try and get a lawn going. My new house was completed today and we got our certificate of occupancy. Now I need to get some type cover crop or grass started to keep the topsoil from washing away. Aside from sodding, what works in South Carolina during the months of December/January?

/ Getting a lawn started in December #2  
I don't know about SC ... here I would seed down rye grass.

/ Getting a lawn started in December
A winter rye is what came to mind, but will it germinate after the first freeze?

/ Getting a lawn started in December #4  
I think winter rye will still germinate in your area. It will also add some organics to the soil before you plant your final lawn. The county extension service could offer good local advice and it would be a good time to have a soil test done also.

MarkV

/ Getting a lawn started in December #5  
I think the rye will germinate but do not use the annual rye. It grows tall like wheat or oats and thick stalk.

/ Getting a lawn started in December
I think winter rye will still germinate in your area. It will also add some organics to the soil before you plant your final lawn. The county extension service could offer good local advice and it would be a good time to have a soil test done also.

MarkV

Soil testing done! :D Luckily our pH is right on target.

You know how things are in the day and age of the internet. We all want immediate answers! Can't wait for the local county extension office to open.

Check on the type and variety of Rye. Good advice folks! Appreciate the help!