tow rope, recovery strap or chain?

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain? #22  
One of our main problems is where we are working is wide open farmland or pasture. Very few trees or anything to anchor a winch to. I know they make the anchors you can bury, etc but it really is not that practical. Also winches are expensive and dangerous in their own way. The cables on them can be a pain to deal with if you do not know what you are doing. I like winches for my personal vehicles and they definitely have a place but they don't seem to be the best solution for our problem.

I find that curious...

In my opinion, if you are breaking chains, you are doing something wrong or at the least, abusing the equipment.

When we used to do a bit of off roading with our Land Cruiser and friends, we always had a winch, some chains, some straps and some connection hardware. We could almost always pull out larger vehicles with smaller vehicles with a winch. The larger vehicle had to "assist" some times with its drivetrain, but no big deal. The nice thing about a winch is it stores the cable for you. :)

If I were you, I would get receivers on the front and back of both of your work trucks and a winch with alligator clip electric leads mounted on a 2" bar. Then you could transfer it to the front or back of either of your vehicles as needed.

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain?
I find that curious...

In my opinion, if you are breaking chains, you are doing something wrong or at the least, abusing the equipment.

When we used to do a bit of off roading with our Land Cruiser and friends, we always had a winch, some chains, some straps and some connection hardware. We could almost always pull out larger vehicles with smaller vehicles with a winch. The larger vehicle had to "assist" some times with its drivetrain, but no big deal. The nice thing about a winch is it stores the cable for you. :)

If I were you, I would get receivers on the front and back of both of your work trucks and a winch with alligator clip electric leads mounted on a 2" bar. Then you could transfer it to the front or back of either of your vehicles as needed.

The thing about is that we are working, not offroading for fun. We are having to drive down fresh cut right of ways that often cross creeks, etc. There are often times there are places that you look at and you know you will get stuck but you have to go through to get the job done. I have seen our trucks buried in mud so deep the doors would not open. A simple pull is not going to get that out unless it is from a big tractor or dozer. Thus we have to yank on them to get free and sometimes things break.

I will think about the winch idea but I would be looking at probably $1000-$1500 a truck to set it up as your describe and I have 5 trucks. That much $$ could buy a lot of chains or ropes.

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain? #24  
sounds like a pipeline job. Get a tow strap you can give it a jerk and the rubberband effect will help in tugging out the unit. I worked a pipeline ROW once we always got stuck the worst on Friday at quiting time.

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain? #25  
The situation you describe just about necessitates the snatch strap. You've already said you need the momentum of the tow vehicles to give you the extra yank. Thats exactly what the straps are designed for. If you went to a stronger chain you'll just rip something off the pickups. And it would be awfully heavy.

But I think the correct method with snatch straps now is to have just a little free play in the strap, and move slowly and smoothly away from the bogged vehicle. The days of slingshotting the bogged car out of the hole are over.

Last edited:
   / tow rope, recovery strap or chain? #27  
The thing about is that we are working, not offroading for fun.

It makes no difference. Working or playing is no excuse for using the wrong tool to get unstuck. Yanking with a chain will eventually damage your trucks, break chains or hurt someone.... all of which are costly. Get a snatch strap for the quick pull outs and a winch for the really stuck situations.

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain? #28  
The thing about is that we are working, not offroading for fun. We are having to drive down fresh cut right of ways that often cross creeks, etc. There are often times there are places that you look at and you know you will get stuck but you have to go through to get the job done. I have seen our trucks buried in mud so deep the doors would not open. A simple pull is not going to get that out unless it is from a big tractor or dozer. Thus we have to yank on them to get free and sometimes things break.

I will think about the winch idea but I would be looking at probably $1000-$1500 a truck to set it up as your describe and I have 5 trucks. That much $$ could buy a lot of chains or ropes.

No,
The THING is that you are going in without adequate equipment and refusing to face up to that fact.
But, but, but,,,,, mumble, mumble about costs and having to use nothing bigger than what you get stuck in there, more mumble about expecting to break stuff.

At what point do you admit that some number of injuries are inevitable ?
and what are ACCEPTABLE levels of injury ?
(within the constraints you have adopted).

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain? #29  
I don't think the quality of the chain is the issue. If you're breaking any halfway decent chain then you're probably jerking it. That is not what a chain is made for. And its dangerous.

For vehicle to vehicle recovery I think a recovery strap or 'snatch' strap is by far the most useful tool. But, it needs to be a true recovery strap and not just a tow strap. And they are fairly expensive. And it needs to be of sufficient stregth to handle the application. And you have to use it correctly.

I have a 4" wide 20' long strap. To use it properly you still don't 'snatch' it violently. You connect the two vehicles with just enough slack so that the middle of the strap touches the ground. The towing vehicle then steadily drives forward and when tension starts to slow it down, more gas is applied. The strap is made to stretch a little and then recoil. The combination of the recoil and the steady forward movement of the towing vehicle extracts the stuck vehicle. And even though you do apply a slight 'jerk' this is still a fairly slow, controlled extraction.

I've used chains, winches, cables, come-alongs, and countless chains but I've never seen anything work better than a snatch strap. I still carry two 15' chains though.

/ tow rope, recovery strap or chain? #30  
How about a picture of your vehicles and a typical condition where they get stuck?

If chains are consistently breaking, I'd be looking into changing methods, getting stronger chains, and looking at safety practices to avoid injury the next time a chain breaks.

Why are employees driving into mud so deep the doors won't open?