Ticks

/ Ticks #11  
Redman

Do I hunt? Not recently but I have with pistol, rifle, bow. I have been invited on bow and arrow boar hunts as "safety man"/insurance for prudent hunters (I used a M1 Carbine with "banana" clips but never fired a shot) Walked a lot of miles trying (now this reveals my stupidity or hudspuh or SOMETHING) to bag antelope (pronghorn) with a longbow.

Do I wear treated clothes while hunting deer? Well, no but mostly because I haven't hunted deer since knowing how to treat the clothes. I have so many deer bedding down on my place that it would be more properly called harvesting rather than hunting. Hunting implies a certain degree of uncertainty in the location of your quary. This would be more like going to the garden and "hunting" a tomato in the middle of the tomato section.

Does the odor eventually go away? Gee, does it go away or do we get used to it? Well, there are petroleum distillates in the stuff I use. It smells pretty much of the lab and refinery when the clothes are still damp, hence the warning about using a gas or electric dryer, probably not safe. When very thoroughly dried, I can't smell the stuff or at least don't smell it "above" the detergent's perfume and the fabric softener perfume. I'm a non-smoker with a fair sense of smell.

If you prelaundered your hunting clothes with perfume free detergent and treated it with only enough permethrin for a few weeks rather than a year and let it air dry thoroughly then dried it in the dryer it would be about the best compromise. Alternatively if you have access to the area you intend to hunt in advance of the season, hang some treated clothes/rags, previously washed with your regular detergent, in good hunting areas and put out some salt and corn or feed. Couldn't hurt to condition some of the population to think of the odor of your detergent and permethrin (if it has an odor) as being associated with good eats.

Patrick

/ Ticks #12  
Redman59, I bow hunted last year with treated clothes and still had no problem. After treating everything I washed the with scent free soap and baking powder. I keep all my hunting clothes in a plastic bag with 3 HS scent dirt wafers and 2 white acorn wafers. Had does that walked within 8 feet of me while in my ground blind and no ticks all season long.

/ Ticks #13  
ewoss3, Most excellent! I thought that would be the case since permethrin is (depending on your source of info) a natural plant substance or a synthesized version of a natural plant substance. So unless Mr. Prey Animal is afraid of flowers (it is based on a flower) any permethrin "smell" shouldn't be a big deal. Your washing after the tick treatment with a scent free laundry product would reduce any residual scents due to the original petroleum distilates or other "stuff" that might smell "wrong" to the object of your attentions. Is it safe to assume you bagged one? (I hope)

The only "wild" game I have taken in several years was a poor little bunny wabbit that recently got an early start at our early germinating lettuce. I deported him to the fry pan with a brief layover in the FOV of my new variable scope on my Ruger target .22 pistol. My eyes finally got so old that I couldn't see the target and sights at the same time so an optical assist was in order. I zeroed it in one day (8 out of ten shots in bulls eye with two in 9 ring on two consecutive targets after fine tuning) and Mr. Wabbit came hippity hopppity through the garden the next day, fateful juxtapositon of happenstances, his and mine.

Tried out an old Betty Crocker Rabbit recipe. Oil the pieces, roll in crushed corn flakes, brown in hot oil, and cover and simmer on low heat for an hour (unless rabbit is of indeterminate age where you are instructed to add a small amount of water and go an extra 1/2 hour). He didn't have his ID on him at the time and he didn't have a long grey beard but he could have stood to have the extra water and half hour.

To be on-topic, he didn't have any ticks on him unless they were nymphs and escaped detection.

Patrick

/ Ticks #14  
patrick, yes I bagged five deer last season 4 does and 1 buck. Oklahoma opened extra alottments for does due to our population ratio. I wish October would hurry up and get here because I'm almost out of venison again.