Wood Stove Rebuild

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #11  
Cool-- another project! :D My 1979 Resolute also has a crack in the back, also from running too hot a long time ago; I'll be following this post with interest. Something I've been wondering about --rebuilding/repairing it-- for quite a while.

Haven't had any pieces fall out yet, and it's cranking today for sure -- 2 below outside with a VERY stiff north wind- ouch! Looks like our little digital camera picked up som IR heat off the front door-interesting.

If anyone needs assistance at the factory, it's only about 1/2 hr from my house. Haven't been up there in a long time.

Attachments

• 79 VC Resolute-1.JPG
    79 VC Resolute-1.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 2,043
  • 79 VC Resolute-2.JPG
    79 VC Resolute-2.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 2,156
   / Wood Stove Rebuild #12  
Yeah, sorry Wayne..... poor choice of words. Not belly up, just financial trouble then bought out and refusing to honor any warranty on pre-buyout stoves. I've read nothing but negative about the current VC, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with them. Had i heard all the feedback priorto buying my stove, i'm not so sure i'd have bought another VC. But.... the boss would only allow me to get a new stove if it was enameled cast iron, since its the first thing you see when you walk into the house. You know how it is.........;)

Hey not to worry! I bought the first VC a long time ago actually a guy I was working with was from Bethel and his father worked at the foundry in Randolf so he sort-of introduced me to VC stoves. We bought the blue enameled resolute and used it for a number of years in the living room area. About every other year I was changing out the arch and fireback. There was a person up in Bethel that I was getting parts from, but he finally got out of the business and sold it and now it is Mills Hardware. Bill floyd ran the store for many years and he was actually the first employee (I think) hired at VC. Bill told me once he was there for 29 years and decided to do something else for a change! When I first met Bill I asked him about a certain part for my stove and his response was:
"I have every part ever made for your stove in stock" Well, I looked around at the old hardware store and just couldn't figure out where he had all these parts stored. Turned out they were up the street at VC. Bill filled out the order and I drove up there and picked them up.

I was stopping in to see Bill yearly on our way to our mountain place and it was always nice to see him. He got really sick a few years back and was close to losing it. Then he got a bit better and his son joined him in the store, but as of last year he finally sold out and retired. Guess we all go that way after a bit of time.

I called up there a while back trying to order parts and was told they were all back ordered, but that they would get back to me as soon as they knew what was coming in. (Never worked that way before) Still haven't heard from them so I assume a bunch of things have changed.

Wayne

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #13  
Hello, I came across this site yesterday....I took a chance and called LLoyd....he was very helpful...I am also looking to re build a VC stove Defiant....I am trying to find out if a Defiant 1-1a...(front and top) is interchangeable with a Defiant II and III....any insights welcome ....K

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #14  
I too have a Vermont casting stove and it came with the house that i bought. The baffle was bad so i replaced it, It went bad already in 9 years i had it. It's a nice looking stove, but it doesn't last under heavy use. I grew up with a fisher's stove at my folks since 1970's and its still in heavy use with no problems. Since the stove is all cast iron and no fire bricks for protection, I believe it not made for regular heavy duty use. Right now I am still using my VC stove, but its on the way out. I definitely will replace it with a better stove, one with bricks inside. My biggest issue though is that the VC stove i have a direct rear chimnery discharge, not up. So I am limited to hieght of stove and need to find a rear discharge as well. If I cannot find a rear discharge with a certain hieght, I guess a major redo of the chimney pipes is in order.:mad: I hope this is not coming to you guys as a rant but to let you know you guys not alone with the vermont casting stoves.

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #16  
I owned a couple CDW catalytic stoves which I used to heat my home -- they got a lot of use. Since theyre catalytic the internal temps run somewhat higher than air tights. I assume this is what you have? One of the biggest problems I had w/ mine were the carbon steel fasteners welding themselves in the hole and or disintegrating due to the heat and gases of combustion. Only way to remove them is to drill (with a carbide bit) and rethread. Depending on how close they were to the converted Id replace w/ titanium or stainless. For sure after each heating season Id remove the stainless fasteners and make sure the threads were in good shape and re-apply nickel no seize. With this treatment I found all the other components lasted. I never had to reapply caulking rope to any of the body panels. Only place I redid that was the loading door which got used a good bit. If you gently vacuum the converter (removes the fly ash) and are goo about burning only wood you may never have to replace the converter. Anyway, what I wanted to say was mostly about the fasteners you wind up using in the rebuild. Really taking a part a stove is really easy...intuitive. The hard part is getting the old fasteners out....which can be a considerable pain.

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #17  
both myself, my dad and my uncle all own various Vermont casting stoves.

The most common reason for cracking cast iron baffles is heating the stove two quickly.

In 20-30 years of operation for my dads and my uncles neither has had any issues with there stoves when properly cared for.

I have helped my uncle replace most of the refractory cement in his about 10 years ago. Its the puddy between the plates of the stove that form the seal. The cement gets old brittle and will fall out over long periods.

the stoves are well made and are fairly easy to work on.

/ Wood Stove Rebuild
Well. The part finally arrived. Actually it arrived but they neglected to call me. Twice to order - no follow up... poor service. At least I got the part.

I will wait till the burning season is over. Usually mid-may for me. Than I will deconstruct the stove: take apart, clean everything, purchase stove sealant and rebuild. I will probably use ss bolts when I rebuild. Hopefully I can get another 8-10 years out of the stove.

Will keep you posted.

Lloyd

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    388.1 KB · Views: 663
   / Wood Stove Rebuild
Ok, Winter is coming...

7.8 degrees Celsius the other morning. So today I started my rebuild.

Pics are probably random order(cause I can never seem to get it right - even though I load in order) but I think you will get the idea presented here. Basically I will wire brush everything down, vacuum and clean. I will need to replace some bolts so I am going with stainless.

Tomorrow I will wire-brush and post more pics before assembly. I will also take pics of assembly as well. Need to replace some gaskets and use stove cement to assemble.

If all goes well this thing should hum right along for another 30+ years.

It looks scary but I think I can put it back together. I have been taking lots of things apart since I was a very young child - oh! - some things did get put back together too!

lloyd

Attachments

• IMG_4376.JPG
    IMG_4376.JPG
    699 KB · Views: 1,182
  • IMG_4375.JPG
    IMG_4375.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 884
  • IMG_4373.JPG
    IMG_4373.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 1,027
  • IMG_4370.JPG
    IMG_4370.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 1,332
  • IMG_4377.JPG
    IMG_4377.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 1,226
  • IMG_4378.JPG
    IMG_4378.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 34,038
  • IMG_4379.JPG
    IMG_4379.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 1,141
  • IMG_4381.jpg
    IMG_4381.jpg
    793.7 KB · Views: 1,305
   / Wood Stove Rebuild #20  
Wow!! I can see why you needed to replace the back of the burning area! Mine has a crack, but you have to look closely to see it. You got a hole!

Nice pics- I'll be studying them; thanks for the update, Lloyd.