Wood Stove Rebuild

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #21  
Nice wood stove Lloyd!

How long have you used it to get a hole like that ?

And also, what kind of wood do you burn ?

/ Wood Stove Rebuild
jd and irving,

I bought the stove used. It says 1979 or it did before the hole occurred. I've used it for 8+
years. I noticed a crack last year and tried to weld it. That held for about 6 months. This past winter the back cracked in several places and a chunk fell out. I used it for about 3 months with the hole. It is a baffle and not the back of the stove.

A new back was ordered and arrived during the burning season. I burn everything from oak, birch and hemlock to pine. The softwoods are used to start the fire. I mostly burn oak - well aged - at least two years. I keep a watchful eye on the thermometer on the stove pipe and burn within the desired ranges.

I just got back from the hardware store with new gaskets and 4 tubes of 1035f stove cement. So I will be wire brushing the parts today and assembling later with the help of a friend.

Will post pics of reconstruction.

lloyd

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #23  
Good Evenin Lloyd,
Wow thats a big job, now I see why you waited for the end of the burning season last year ! ;)

Good luck with the reassembly ! :)

/ Wood Stove Rebuild
So, It's back together - ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wired brushed everything and chipped out old cement. The rebuild took two tubes of stove cement. I used stainless nuts and bolts and reversed them for clearance - bolt head inside - nut outside.

I did a dry fit before laying in a bead of cement. The biggest challenge/time concern was lowering the top and aligning the four corner rods. The rods go from top to bottom and bolt at the bottom. They were in decent shape so I left them - I didn't want to break a rod threaded into the top part of the stove. Once the cement dries it will add extra strength to the stove.

I laid a bead of cement everywhere I could and once the stove was together I laid a bead on the outside where the stove plates came together. I also put a new gasket in the top. I ended up putting it together by myself - but two people would be better.

Tomorrow I will use stove black to give the stove a 'new' look and move it back into the house. Doors and side shelves will go on once it is in place.

lloyd

Attachments

• IMG_4383.JPG
    IMG_4383.JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_4384.JPG
    IMG_4384.JPG
    534.6 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_4385.jpg
    IMG_4385.jpg
    938 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_4388.JPG
    IMG_4388.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_4389.JPG
    IMG_4389.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_4390.JPG
    IMG_4390.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 1,414
  • IMG_4392.JPG
    IMG_4392.JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_4393.JPG
    IMG_4393.JPG
    552.8 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_4395.JPG
    IMG_4395.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_4396.JPG
    IMG_4396.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 734
   / Wood Stove Rebuild #25  
Good Evenin Lloyd,
Very nice !!!

I see you use the angle grinder with the braided wire wheel also ! ;)

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #26  
Great job Lloyd!

Glad you were still able to get parts for you stove.. For the stove to be made in 1979 it sure has held up great.

Right now I'm installing a new wood stove.. United States wood stove, and it connects into my duct-work of my home.

I burn a lot of oak also..This year I was able to cut up a couple of beech trees that fell from an ice storm we had early this year. I have never burned beech before, and they say it will put out great heat.

Glad you got your stove back together! and Thanks for sharing you work. :D

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #27  
This year I was able to cut up a couple of beech trees that fell from an ice storm we had early this year. I have never burned beech before, and they say it will put out great heat.

Good Mornin Bill,
The local farmer let me take a beech tree that had come down in a storm last year, I think you will like burning beech ! ;)

Its a great heat source ! :)

/ Wood Stove Rebuild
I burn beech and poplar too. You'll find both east to slit... straight grain.

There is a saying about types of wood - which I am trying to find - and it is either poplar or beech that burns the eyes from smoke.

lloyd

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #29  
which I am trying to find - and it is either poplar or beech that burns the eyes from smoke.

lloyd

ya but if you have smoke coming from your chimney your not burning right. A properly burning good wood stove (like that vermont casting) should burn nearly perfectly clean. (non-catalytic-converter type)

/ Wood Stove Rebuild
Clean smoke...

It's an old poem or saying... may be Thoreau. But basically talks about the different qualities of wood.

Lloyd