Wood Stove Rebuild

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #31  
Good Mornin Bill,
The local farmer let me take a beech tree that had come down in a storm last year, I think you will like burning beech ! ;)

Its a great heat source ! :)
Morning Scott,

Thanks for the info on the beech!... If beech puts out a lot of heat and you burned a lot of it, then it might burn a stove up quicker ?....Is that right ? :confused: :D:D

I have only 11 more big beech trees on my property, and that's where I kill most of my squirrels. :D... One thing about most of the 'beech trees' around here is, most of them are hollow.
I burn beech and poplar too. You'll find both east to slit... straight grain.

There is a saying about types of wood - which I am trying to find - and it is either poplar or beech that burns the eyes from smoke.

lloyd

Morning Lloyd,

Back in the spring me and my father-in-law cut 14 very large poplars that were over 70ft. tall, and we had to cut on both sides because a 20in. bar wouldn't go all the way through...and we cut 2 large sycamores that were as tall & round as the poplars.

We cut these trees because they were too close to my home... I had to build 2 large woodsheds that are 12ft high on one end, and 10ft high on the lower end.. and they are 16x16... I have the wood stacked from the bottom to the top. :D.. and I had one row that fell over. :D... Just glad I wasn't next to it. :)... I still have 2 large trees on the ground that needs cut up & split.

Now I have burned 'sycamores' before and that type of wood puts out good heat too.

I didn't know about the smoke from certain trees that would burn your eyes.

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #32  
Morning Scott,

Thanks for the info on the beech!... If beech puts out a lot of heat and you burned a lot of it, then it might burn a stove up quicker ?....Is that right ? :confused: :D:D

Good Mornin Bill,
Nahh it doesnt burn that hot... there is only one type of wood around here that you really have to be careful with, and thats hardach. That stuff puts out an incredible amount of heat.

A friend of mine made the mistake of loading up his stove with hardach,:eek: the stove got so hot, the whole stove was literaly glowing, he swore that he could actually see through the side of the stove, maybe a slight exageration on his part ! :rolleyes:

Anyways, I will only put one piece of that in at a time, and mix in some other stuff... :)

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #33  
What kind of stove paint did you use to repaint the exterior?

Is there a generic source for firebrick for wood stoves?

/ Wood Stove Rebuild
2 many,

Paint is stove black. You can buy fire brick and stove black from most hardware stores. There is a lighter version of brick that you can cut with a hacksaw or recipe saw.

The stove black can be brushed on and wiped or buffed with a clean cloth. It is black and messy, stains clothes and hands...

lloyd

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #35  
Good Mornin Bill,
Nahh it doesnt burn that hot... there is only one type of wood around here that you really have to be careful with, and thats hardach. That stuff puts out an incredible amount of heat.

A friend of mine made the mistake of loading up his stove with hardach,:eek: the stove got so hot, the whole stove was literaly glowing, he swore that he could actually see through the side of the stove, maybe a slight exageration on his part ! :rolleyes:

Anyways, I will only put one piece of that in at a time, and mix in some other stuff... :)

Evening Scott,

Never heard of that type of wood.... He could see through the side:eek: :D:D

So that would burn A LOT hotter than coal.

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #36  
2 many,

The stove black can be brushed on and wiped or buffed with a clean cloth. It is black and messy, stains clothes and hands...

lloyd

Good Mornin Lloyd,
Yeah, and that stove black doesnt come off easily either :eek:, you kind of need to wear it off ! ;)

Evening Scott,

Never heard of that type of wood.... He could see through the side:eek: :D:D

Good Mornin Bill,
Well thats the story I got ! ;)

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #37  
Good Mornin Lloyd,
Yeah, and that stove black doesnt come off easily either :eek:, you kind of need to wear it off ! ;)

Good Mornin Bill,
Well thats the story I got ! ;)

Morning Scott,

Well I know.... That's the story and your sticking to it. :D:D:D... Now my father-in-law told me yesterday when we was hooking up my stove, that he burned beech wood once and his pipe turned cherry red. :D

I tried to do a search on "hardach wood" & couldn't find anything.

About the stove paint... Let it wear off would be like getting stain from hulling walnuts. :D:D... It stayed on my hands for weeks one time. :D

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #39  

Only wood I've heard of burning that hot is hedge (osage orange), but it doesn't grow around here. Best firewood in these parts is locust...... but i can never get my hands on any. I'd like to find a bunch to compare to my red oak.

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #40  
Hi Lloyd,

I recently purchased a used VC Resolute III model 0043. It needs a new right insert and lower fireback. I found a few places online that have the parts and so I started to try to remove the old worn out plates. There's a VC PDF doc ont the VC website that provides replacement instructions:

http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/2009/2003688_Fireback_Replace.pdf

I spent the better part of a day tapping and prying, I used lithium grease and soap between the plates but neither plate will come out.

I noticed from your pics that you removed the bottom of the stove which appears to provide another angle of access to the plates. Did you find the plates came out easily when the base of the stove was off?

I didn't want to go that far with it but I suppose if it's the only way to get the plates out I'll do it.

Any comments or suggestions?