Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Wood Stove Rebuild

WOW - This thread is just what I was looking for, thank you so much Lloyd, Keegs, IrvinJ and everyone else for describing your rebuilds in such detail. I'm so glad the posts are recent and current. In this post, I'm asking about parts, advice, and outside air-attachment experience.

I bought my VC Resolute III 0042 on craigslist four years ago for $250. (a point of pride, I love this thing!) It's my primary heat source. (fuel: oak, cherry, poplar, maple, sycamore. Also: I have steady supply of wood palettes I cut up and burn.)

I found this site by searching for VC Resolute III 0042 replacement parts. I need to rebuild/clean mine. It still works nicely, but there's cracks in the side panels and fireback and the gaskets needs replacing.

I'm going to hunt for the parts at the sources mentioned in this thread and see what kind of luck I have. Any updated guidance would be appreciated!

Recommendations on gaskets kits would be appreciated too. This stove has been very good, and I hope to get many more years out of it. At the end of burn season (S. NJ=mid-March), I plan to do a complete rebuild.

Also, my house is very tight due to a recent rehab: new windws/doors/closed-cell-foam insulation throughout. The draw from the fire pulls the cold air up from the basement. Does anyone have experience rigging an outside air feed to the Resolute I/II/III? Or any advice?

Here's the list of parts I'm looking for:
    Resolute III 0043 Exploded Parts :
    33 1200521, (quantity 4)
    26 1200811 (quantity 1)
    30 1200848 (quantity 1)
    9 1301784 (quantity 1)
    20 0004444 (quantity 1)
    32 1201338 (quantity 2)
    Vermont Castings Resolute III
    2003 VW JEtta TDI
    1988 F250 7.3 Diesel

Tractor
    2008 Kioti DK 45 sc

CB1000,

Glad it was helpful... TBN is a wonderful source not only for tractor info but general living info as well. By that list and the prices attached to it you might be better off finding a better used stove than the once you have and changing pieces to build one good one.

Best fo luck...
    Work hard to get it down - play like tomorrow may end!

Small Horse Farm: 12.5 acres: 2008 Kioti Dk 45SC with Cab, FEL, BH, 6' snow blower, 7' back blade, 7' box blade, 6' bush hog, 9"& 14" auger, 8' chain harrow, 4" chipper, sand spreader, 7' landscape rake, 3pt quick attach & coffee holder.

Tractor
    2008 Kioti DK 45 sc

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd_E View Post
    CB1000,

Glad it was helpful... TBN is a wonderful source not only for tractor info but general living info as well. By that list and the prices attached to it you might be better off finding a better used stove than the once you have and changing pieces to build one good one.

Best fo luck...
    Bob Villa had a short video showing the assembly of a stove at the plant... good info.
    Work hard to get it down - play like tomorrow may end!

Small Horse Farm: 12.5 acres: 2008 Kioti Dk 45SC with Cab, FEL, BH, 6' snow blower, 7' back blade, 7' box blade, 6' bush hog, 9"& 14" auger, 8' chain harrow, 4" chipper, sand spreader, 7' landscape rake, 3pt quick attach & coffee holder.

Tractor
    2005 MF GC2310 TLB

Well, I still have yet to start my rebuild...

But you're right, some great info on this forum!
    '07 GC2310 TLB, 2360 snowblower, 2325 MMM, Bro-Tek thumb, Woods GTC40-2 tiller, Woods RB-60 back blade, KK TYR-60 landscape rake, DR 60" Power Grader
    '05 VW Jetta Wgn TDI
    Numerous antique Japanese motorcycles

Tractor
    Deere 755

Quote Originally Posted by Coolbean1000 View Post
    ...Also, my house is very tight due to a recent rehab: new windws/doors/closed-cell-foam insulation throughout. The draw from the fire pulls the cold air up from the basement. Does anyone have experience rigging an outside air feed to the Resolute I/II/III? Or any advice?
    When I bought our Resolute Acclaim 0041 back in the early 90's, I also ordered the outside air kit supplied by VC. It is just a sheet metal pan that bolts to the bottom of the stove with a 3" connector to hook up to your cold air supply. There's nothing really airtight about the connection, though. I could send a photo or photos if you like.

I bought to kit because the stove was going in a new addition that I thought would be very airtight. Then we put French doors between the room the stove is in and the old part of the house.
    Jerry

JD 755 w/70 loader, 60" MMM, DR 3pt chipper, Woods RB60 blade, 48" KKII tiller, 8 hp tow behind Giant Vac
    Gator HPX 4x4 Gas,Cat 303c CR mini-ex

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M5640SUD

Took a trip up to the farm this past week to assemble and install the wood stove.

Putting together six sides of the stove plus the inside castings with just two hands wasn't easy but after several attempts I found "a" way. I took the feeder door off the top plate and laid the top plate inside up on the floor. I then assembled the fireback to the back plate and with the threaded rods attached to the top plate I put the 4 x side panels on and then attached the bottom with the nuts. I then assembled the side castings and the ash fettle.

I used a 1" putty knife to pack the cement into the joints which seemed to better keep the cement in place while struggling (understatement) with the assembly.

Here's the stove assembled with the new fire back and side casting:

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/z...2611_1658a.jpg

I put down some durarock and some ceramic tile for a hearth. The brick back is set about 1.5" from the 5/8" sheetrock.

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/z...2611_1705a.jpg

I bought some new 22 gage 6" stove pipe. The top of the older Resolutes (not sure about the newer Resolute Acclaim) have an oval flue section. The round stove pipe forms just the right size oval when you form it into the flue section.

I didn't have the owners manual with me so I was guessing how to operate the vents. (there's two on this one) I'm also going to replace the steel door panel inserts with fire glass so I can view the fire burn.

It's like a brand new stove.

Thanks again Lloyd for the example.

I also have a Resolute I II and have been following this thred. My fireback baffle has a crack and will need to be replaced before I use it this winter. I had a place bookmarked for the part but have found the the part is no longer available. I did find a rear baffle for a Resloute III mine is a Resolute I II , Can anyone tell me if this will work or a place I might be able to find the part?
    Thank you

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Quote Originally Posted by ifly15 View Post
    I also have a Resolute I II and have been following this thred. My fireback baffle has a crack and will need to be replaced before I use it this winter. I had a place bookmarked for the part but have found the the part is no longer available. I did find a rear baffle for a Resloute III mine is a Resolute I II , Can anyone tell me if this will work or a place I might be able to find the part?
    Thank you
    Not sure about your stove, but as far as finding it i would just start using google and yahoo.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Great thought and I have without any luck. That's how I found this site. I know this is going to be a tough one if parts are no longer being made as this seems to be the part that wears out the most. I guess I'll keep searching.
    Thanks

Tractor
    TBN casualty

Have you contacted the company directly and asked them? Here is their website. A phone call would be easy as well. Located in Vermont.
    Vermont Castings | Customer Care
    Good luck. Really nice stove! American made.
    Right wing conservatives make lousy compost too!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast