Wood Stove Rebuild

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #61  
Count me among those who owe Lloyd a top shelf drink for sharing his experience with the Resolute. I rebuilt mine last week. After 28 years of service, it showed degradation and warping in the exact same locations as Lloyd's. Thanks to Keegs advice, I got mine back together in less than a couple of hours. I can't believe how well it works since I replaced the 3 inner panels. I got my replacement parts from Mills Hardware in Vermont and they were great to deal with. I'm going to keep it from over heating and now that I familiar with its innards, I'll vacuum it out at the beginning of each season. I noticed during disassembly that interior passages became packed with ashes. I can't imagine this was good for the stove's performance.
Thank you gentlemen.

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #62  
Interesting that this thread should come alive again... with our recent quite cold weather, and my new replacement heat pump (water-source, aka "geothermal") that shuts off AND LOCKS OUT when the freeze-stat trips --the old one didn't, it would re-set by itself-- becomes borderline with sub-zero temps, I've been using my Resolute a lot lately.

Gotta rebuild that thing!! If I put more than three pieces of wood in at a time, it "puffs" through the thermostatically-controlled vent and blows a bunch of smoke into the basement, which then makes its way into the rest of the house.... I'm thinking that this summer, I'll be following in you-all's footsteps!

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #63  
Don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I figured I have nothing to lose. I have a Resolute lll 042 that I bought in 1986, which is in excellent condition, but I replaced it a couple of years ago with a larger VC. In order to get top dollar when I sell it, I figured I should rebuild it. Does anyone have a link to step by step disassembly and assembly instructions for this stove? I have found them for the Resolute Acclaim, but have not been able to located them for the Resolute lll.

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #64  
Don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I figured I have nothing to lose. I have a Resolute lll 042 that I bought in 1986, which is in excellent condition, but I replaced it a couple of years ago with a larger VC. In order to get top dollar when I sell it, I figured I should rebuild it. Does anyone have a link to step by step disassembly and assembly instructions for this stove? I have found them for the Resolute Acclaim, but have not been able to located them for the Resolute lll.

I'd look at asking prices on Craigslist before rebuilding that stove. You might put more money in it then you can get for it.
As far as the manual, go to this site:
Vermont Castings | Manuals, Guides and Brochures

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #65  
I'd look at asking prices on Craigslist before rebuilding that stove. You might put more money in it then you can get for it.
As far as the manual, go to this site:
Vermont Castings | Manuals, Guides and Brochures

All the stove parts are in excellent condition, my only cost would be a couple of tubes of stove cement. Also I've been to the VC site already and there is nothing for the Resolute lll, only the Resolute Acclaim.

Last edited:
   / Wood Stove Rebuild #66  
All the stove parts are in excellent condition, my only cost would be a couple of tubes of stove cement. Also I've been to the VC site already and there is nothing for the Resolute lll, only the Resolute Acclaim.

Try this place:
Mills Hardware Inc
185 S Main St, Bethel, VT 05032
(802) 234-7250

This store is referenced in a few of the posts in this thread. He's still in business and he's still selling VC stoves.
The foundry (in Randolph VT) and the assembly plant (Bethel VT) don't sell directly to the public.

The company was sold about 4 months ago and downsized considerably. There's probably some parts left and Mills might have the contacts to get a paper copy of the manual.

Good luck!