Wood Stove Rebuild

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #1  

Lloyd_E

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kioti DK 45 sc
Has anyone rebuilt a vermont resolute wood stove lately?

I need to replace the cracked fire back in the stove. Essentially it is a baffle that protects the outer back wall of the stove and redirects burnt gases through a multi chamber system.

Any links or info on DYI would be helpful.

Lloyd

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #2  
From complete ignorance Lloyd can the present baffle be drilled and a plate be bolted in?:confused::confused:

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #3  
Has anyone rebuilt a vermont resolute wood stove lately?

I need to replace the cracked fire back in the stove. Essentially it is a baffle that protects the outer back wall of the stove and redirects burnt gases through a multi chamber system.

Any links or info on DYI would be helpful.

Lloyd

Just wondering if it is the lower or upper fire back that is cracked. I am assuming it is an older model resolute and doesn't have firebricks? This would also have a three piece arch inserts that is held in place by the lower fire back.

There is a place in Bethel, VT that might be able to get the parts for you. I have the lower and upper fire backs on order but everything seems to be back ordered from the factory.

Our stove is the model Resolute Acclaim built in 1988 and the part numbers are:

Arch inserts is: 000-5862
Lower Fire back 130-1826

If your stove is a model 2490 (newer type stove) then you would have the fire bricks and the you will have a two piece arch assembly consisting of

Left arch brick part number 1600151
Right arch brick part number 1600152
Arch brick retainer part number 1600154

The name of the store is Mills Hardware (802) 234-7250 and the person to speak to is Scott. Prior to calling them look on the back of the stove for the identification plate and get the serial number and model number for your stove.

I can email you some additional information if you desire. send me an email at wbracy@gsinet.net

regards,

Wayne

/ Wood Stove Rebuild
Wayne,

Thanks for the info. It is a resolute III #0042.The
part number is: 1301356. It is the lower fire back. It appears to have only two fire backs - upper and lower - slightly rounded but not arched it you are looking at front on. It is parallel to base. I called local dealer and they can get the part in 2-3 weeks.

It now has a triangular shape piece missing from it. It does not affect the burn. I can shut down the damper plus the two air inlet controls and it does not over fire - at least from the stove pipe thermometer. I would not like to run it this way for very long.

Egon, I thought about that route... before the chunk fell out! Now I think it is better/safer to purchase the hole back.

I hoping this will be a one day job - disassemble, new part and reassemble with new cement and seals.

Will keep you posted.

TIA

Lloyd

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #5  
before the chunk fell out! Now I think it is better/safer to purchase the hole back.

That is for sure. Glad to hear there are parts available.:D

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #6  
Don't spend too much money on it. VC is in some sort of bankruptcy and parts are becoming scarce and expensive. They made some great stoves back in the day.

/ Wood Stove Rebuild
Highbeam,

Very interesting news.

I bought the stove used 7 years ago: $3200 stove for $800. It paid for itself in the oil savings the first year, including cost of wood and installation. It doesn't owe me anything.

I see them used on kijiji fro $500 to $900. So, if the parts don't materialize. I may just by another stove and put this one in the work shop.

lloyd

PS: hopefully VC will resurrect itself. It is a very good - actually extremely good product.
If the locals (vermonters) could get it for 5 cents on the dollar - the employees should buy it and run it. Remake some models for pellets and corn and move forward.

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #8  
Lloyd, if you have any trouble, try this place.

Wood Stove Parts, Coal Stove Parts, Gas Stove Parts, Pellet Stove Parts, Barbecue Parts, Gas Grill Parts

Woodmans....... i needed a couple parts for my (1979) Resolute Acclaim a year or so back, nothing complicated, but they had what i needed in stock. They do alot of parts for stoves no longer made. Very helpful and professional on the phone. I liked my Resolute so much, i ended up buying a new Defiant last year ($2500 :eek:). Great stove...... too bad they went belly up. V C has changed hands in the past, so hopefully they will be back. Heck..... i bought one of their stoves because i remember going to their factory with my uncle to pick up his new stove, back in about 1970. He got alot of years out of it !

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #9  
Lloyd, if you have any trouble, try this place.

Wood Stove Parts, Coal Stove Parts, Gas Stove Parts, Pellet Stove Parts, Barbecue Parts, Gas Grill Parts

Great stove...... too bad they went belly up. V C has changed hands in the past, so hopefully they will be back.

Hey Ductape, I was at the factory last year up in Bethel. I knew they had been sold to another company, but I do not believe they have gone belly up?

When I spoke to Scott up at Mills Hardware he didn't mention them being closed down.

VermontCastings.com

Vermont Castings is now owned by Monessen Hearth Systems Company MSHC out of Mississauga, Ontario.

http://www.mhsc.com/

I also have a new designed defiant in our mountain camp, a (1979) Vigilant in our home and a Resolute in the cellar. Only one I have had any problems with is the Resolute mainly because I was burning to hot of fires and the cast parts couldn't stand the heat. My fault, but they changed the design some years ago and added fire bricks which I think improved the stove.

Wayne

/ Wood Stove Rebuild #10  
Hey Ductape, I was at the factory last year up in Bethel. I knew they had been sold to another company, but I do not believe they have gone belly up?

When I spoke to Scott up at Mills Hardware he didn't mention them being closed down.

VermontCastings.com

Vermont Castings is now owned by Monessen Hearth Systems Company MSHC out of Mississauga, Ontario.

Monessen Hearth Systems Company

I also have a new designed defiant in our mountain camp, a (1979) Vigilant in our home and a Resolute in the cellar. Only one I have had any problems with is the Resolute mainly because I was burning to hot of fires and the cast parts couldn't stand the heat. My fault, but they changed the design some years ago and added fire bricks which I think improved the stove.

Wayne

Yeah, sorry Wayne..... poor choice of words. Not belly up, just financial trouble then bought out and refusing to honor any warranty on pre-buyout stoves. I've read nothing but negative about the current VC, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with them. Had i heard all the feedback priorto buying my stove, i'm not so sure i'd have bought another VC. But.... the boss would only allow me to get a new stove if it was enameled cast iron, since its the first thing you see when you walk into the house. You know how it is.........;)