Anyone Using Infrared Shop Heaters?

/ Anyone Using Infrared Shop Heaters? #1  

BSVLY

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
I see Costco has the Watts Designers Edge Heat Zone Outdoor Patio Heater # H-12000 for sale.

Is anyone using these and if so can you recommend this heater? I'm thinking of installing a couple in the non-heated side of the garage over the work benches.

Thanks for any insight.

/ Anyone Using Infrared Shop Heaters? #2  
I see you live in Los Angeles. For that sort of cold they would probably be just fine. I find they make a difference in personal comfort above 40 degrees. Last week, when I had to do some work at 8 degrees in the garage, I could only feel heat when standing less than three feet from the red hot heater.

They excel at heating objects, though. If I plan on working in the woodshop I'll preheat shop machinery so those drive belts flex properly. Or if I'm working on the bike, pre-heating keeps a frozen fastener from freezing to my lips if I absent mindedly stick one in my mouth. It's quite embarrassing walking into the house to thaw with a bolt stuck to my lips!

/ Anyone Using Infrared Shop Heaters?
Thanks for the input. Actually-this installation will be for the garage/shop in Central Nevada. The building is well insulated and it was 1 degree F out there last week pre-dawn. Inside the building it was around 35F. These heaters may just work in this situation.

The Costco here in LA where we shop had these units for $75. Costco on-line had them for $25.00 more! Amazon had them for $129-$149. Heck I picked up a couple at Costco. They come with a wall bracket and a cord mounted waterproof switch that also wall mounts. Looks pretty clean and runs on 110.

I like the idea of heating the objects. I'll have to remember your warning about holding the cold fasteners in your mouth.:D

Happy New Year All

I see you live in Los Angeles. For that sort of cold they would probably be just fine. I find they make a difference in personal comfort above 40 degrees. Last week, when I had to do some work at 8 degrees in the garage, I could only feel heat when standing less than three feet from the red hot heater.

They excel at heating objects, though. If I plan on working in the woodshop I'll preheat shop machinery so those drive belts flex properly. Or if I'm working on the bike, pre-heating keeps a frozen fastener from freezing to my lips if I absent mindedly stick one in my mouth. It's quite embarrassing walking into the house to thaw with a bolt stuck to my lips!

/ Anyone Using Infrared Shop Heaters? #5  
No direct experience with them, but from what I've been reading on other forums as well as reviews by those who have bought them, I'm not going to get one. Those who like them always seem to include qualifications how how they work as compared to other heaters where they actually heat the room. If you have to qualify something that you are recommending, then there is a problem.

Eddie