White Elephant Christmas party.

/ White Elephant Christmas party. #1  

Willl

Elite Member
My BIL's family does this and were thinking of starting one up ourselves.

Anybody else do this ?

From the people I have talked to, seems everybody does theirs a little different.

I'm thinking in order for this to play out correctly in my family, were going to need some 'posted' rules.

/ White Elephant Christmas party. #2  
Not sure if it's the same thing, we've never used the term "White Elephant" in ours.

The rules are pretty basic, and from what I understand, very common here in East Texas.

Everyone who wants in brings a gift. We have a ten dollar limit on it's value. We ask that you put down on the wrapping if it's a boy or girl type gift. Then the gifts are counted and we know how many numbers to write down. Everyone who brought a gift draws a number.

Number 1 goes first and picks their gift. Then number two and every else can either pick a gift from under the tree, or "steel" a give that's already been open. It's their choice. We have a limit that a gift can only be taken three times until it's safe. If your gift is taken by another, then you get to go pick another from the tree. After the last person has unwrapped the last gift, the person who drew number 1 gets the opportunity to steel a gift or keep the one they already have.

It's allot of fun and we usually have between 20 to 30 people who play. Kids are not included in it because they get gifts from family members who wont see them at Christmas. Some of the teenagers join in, but not always. It's up to them if they bring something or not.

The last two years, I've ended up with giant ceramic coffee mugs. Last year it was an Orange County Chopper mug, this year it was a Dallas Cowboys mug. Some gifts are home made, while others are gag gifts. The creativity of the gift is usually more fun then the actual gift. Some are given away when it's over anyway. We got a birdhouse this way when everybody left and one of the kids got a rubber chicken that was good for allot of laughs, but better off going home with little Kirsten then her Grandpa.

Another thing that we do is have a give away table. We have things that we don't want or use and instead of bringing them to Good Will, we set out on the table. Kids clothes, our clothes and other items that don't fit or we don't wear. Toys, electronics, appliances, and just about anything and everything goes onto the table. Others also bring stuff from their homes that are still in good order, but not wanted to the give away table.

The table has grown into many tables and areas outside the shop!!!

If you want it,take it. Allot of stuff ends up going to friends and family members who can use it. In two years, nothing is left over for us to through away or take to Good Will. This year, we had so much stuff that I was convinced we'd be stuck with it, but it all went to a home that wanted it.

Eddie

/ White Elephant Christmas party.
Yup, that's exactly what I'm talking about Eddie. I've also heard it called a 'Yankee Swap'.

I like the "give away table" idea.

/ White Elephant Christmas party. #4  
"Dirty Santa" is what we call it here..

Brian

/ White Elephant Christmas party. #5  
Our family (about 15 -20 adults) used to draw names and then you would buy gifts for that one person. This got to be less fun as the family grew and cousin's spouses didn't really know eachother and inevitably ended up drawing eachother's names. We switched to the 'whatever you want to call it' stealing based exchange.

We made the limit $25 and you are supposed to bring a good gift and we engage in lots of good natured one-upsmanship leading up to the exchange. We don't put any names on the gifts and try to guess who brought what and decide on who brought the best gift afterwards. We've been doing it for 3 years now and I think most people enjoy the change. We've seen some great gifts and some terrible gifts.

My BIL's family does a similar thing except everyone brings a $25 gift card for whatever store they want. The main point of their exchange is to wrap the gift card in an unusual manner. They've had cards frozen into blocks of ice, encased in concrete, locked in a box with 100's of dummy keys provided with the actual key, built into elaborate wooden structures, etc. They get the fun of opening the gift and then can steal for whatever gift card is most useful to them.

/ White Elephant Christmas party. #6  
My family has been doing that for about 10-15 years. Its the one thing that all of the adults look forward to. Some of the gifts are good and some are gag. This year my mother got a box of condoms. I laughed until my beer came out of my nose. We always host it at my house. Also, so the kids don't feel left out, we buy $50 worth of lottery tickets. Each kid gets a ticket and they play until they win. Last year it took 48 tickets until every kid won at least $1. Then my mother took the last 2 home with her and won $50.

/ White Elephant Christmas party. #7  
We've been doing the same thing for the past few years, except we do it twice. One round is for gag gifts. That is always a laughfest. The second round is books. The book exchange has proven to be very popular. Everyone sort of has a family member in mind when they buy a particular book, but they usually end up being sought after by someone completely different. Then we have a drawn name exchange for nice presents.

/ White Elephant Christmas party. #8  
We usually only do this at Christmas parties and stuff for fun. For family, if you set a $25 limit (which should read spend AT LEAST $25 tight wad!)....there are a couple that will spend $5 tops. At parties, its the trading, steeling and opening that is the fun part of the game...NOT what you walk away with. At our Church parties, many will save the gift for next year and see who ends up with it!

Lot of fun!

/ White Elephant Christmas party. #9  
We usually only do this at Christmas parties and stuff for fun. For family, if you set a $25 limit (which should read spend AT LEAST $25 tight wad!)....there are a couple that will spend $5 tops. At parties, its the trading, steeling and opening that is the fun part of the game...NOT what you walk away with. At our Church parties, many will save the gift for next year and see who ends up with it!

Lot of fun!

Rob, I marked in red the part of the post that I thought was hysterical. Really made me laugh and actually i thought of a few of my family members that that bit of advice would apply to :D

/ White Elephant Christmas party. #10  
... many will save the gift for next year and see who ends up with it!

The first year that we did this, I got a hammock. I have no desire to sit in a hammock and I'm sure not going to use it for a nap. I re-gifted it the following year, and everyone knew it. Called me out on it too. :D:D:D

Eddie