Chickens aren't laying

/ Chickens aren't laying #1  

deere755

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case 2090 Massey Ferguson 4233 John Deere 4700
We have 20 hens and all the sudden we are getting about 3 eggs a day. I have talked with our feed dealer and we have changed our feed to a blend that is supposed to help but has not. Any ideas on what we could do to help this.

/ Chickens aren't laying #2  
you using artificial light?
how old are the hens?

/ Chickens aren't laying #3  
Make sure you don't have an "egg sucking dog" (Johnny Cash) It happened to my neighbors' chickens :) small dog was well feed.

/ Chickens aren't laying #4  
Unless you are giving them artificial light they will slow down a lot when daylength is short. My hens didn't lay any eggs for the last half of December and just started up again slowly. I doubt its the feed.

/ Chickens aren't laying #5  
Yeah, chickens lay by the amount of daylight. They normally take a break come middle of winter. If you add an artificial light you will decrease the time that they break. What kind of chickens do you have?

/ Chickens aren't laying #6  
My five hens are just like Randy's. They started to molt, stopped laying, and now are slowly coming back to laying. Not sure if it is the light or the winter feathers but I am sure they'll be cranking them out again before long.

/ Chickens aren't laying #7  
In the winter my Amish neighbors put out warm water twice a day for their hens. No artificial light for them and they have plenty of eggs for us English.

/ Chickens aren't laying #9  
Hopefully your cows have not gone dry.

/ Chickens aren't laying #10  
Same here.. in winter my chickens take a break as well.

soundguy