What size shop press for farm shop?

/ What size shop press for farm shop? #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I need to rebuild a PTO shaft on our farm jeep. I've used a hammer and socket on U-joints, but this (according to others who have done the rebuild) is a job for a shop press. I don't have a lot of floor space or money. I've done some searching here and the HF 20-ton press seems to be OK. But it seems overkill for small farm shop jobs.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

/ What size shop press for farm shop? #2  
I bought my Dad a 20 ton HF press, when it was on sale some years ago, for $159. It has worked good and I don't feel it takes up too much space. Sure is handy when you need it. I did lag bolt 4"x6" blocks underneath it to raise it up to a more comfortable height. We also needed that height to press off a bearing on a long shaft. I feel it is a good value.

/ What size shop press for farm shop? #3  
I have the HF 12 ton press. Have used it many times on U-joint replacement and it works fine. Don't know if you have an air chisel with a tip assortment but I found the air chisel with a blunt driver tip works the fastest for removing the old U-joints. If I remember right the 12T was around $100. I mounted mine to one of HF rolling 4 wheel dolly cart to move it around the garage. I'm hoping to build a bigger garage / pole barn this year and once its done I'll mount the press to the floor.

/ What size shop press for farm shop? #4  
I have the HF 12 ton press. Have used it many times on U-joint replacement and it works fine. Don't know if you have an air chisel with a tip assortment but I found the air chisel with a blunt driver tip works the fastest for removing the old U-joints. If I remember right the 12T was around $100. I mounted mine to one of HF rolling 4 wheel dolly cart to move it around the garage. I'm hoping to build a bigger garage / pole barn this year and once its done I'll mount the press to the floor.

Several years ago, I borrowed a friend's 12T HF press to do some suspension work. It did you job, but it felt like we were going to break it. When I decided to buy my own press, I went for the HF 20T because of that experience. I'm glad I did. The 20T has done everything I have asked it to do, without feeling like I am over stressing it.

It's definitely not overkill for farm work. As stated earlier, they periodically go on sale for a decent price.

Last edited:
   / What size shop press for farm shop? #5  
I also bought the HF 20 t. It has worked well

/ What size shop press for farm shop? #6  
I thought I was the only one who bought the HF 20 T press. Don't use it a lot, but it is the right tool for many tasks. Great for bending back bent pieces of metal.

/ What size shop press for farm shop? #7  
I have the HF 10 or 12 T shop press, but when the goof balls that loaded it into my truck tossed in the box with the 20T bottle jack.

So i have a 10/12T frame with a 20T bottle jack. Pressed plenty of bearings/U-joints etc.

/ What size shop press for farm shop? #10  
I have the HF 20-t also. I also had to make height extentions for it or use it standing on my knees! Those Chinese are some short little guys!
I also took an old boat winch and rigged it on top with a cable down eash side to the table for ajusting. If you have the plates on the table and/or work you can't change the height without removing everything.
I use mine for everything. I straighten metal up to 1/2" all the time. I even use it for punching 1/4" X 3" neoprene seals that I need. I just use light pressure for those. I've straightened shafts too.